Can you guys hear a difference between solid core wire?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gnugear

Can you guys hear a difference between solid core wire?

Post by gnugear »

... compared to stranded?

I'm just wondering if it really matters that much. I'm using stranded teflon in my current build.
UR12

Re: Can you guys hear a difference between solid core wire?

Post by UR12 »

I would have to say no. I have built amps with both kinds of wire for years and the only reason I perfer one over the other os that solid wire holds it's shap better for bends. While I'm not an engineer. I would think that any conductor capable of carrying the current and voltage would do so the same way. We should send some of this stuff to Myth Busters. :lol:
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

I love solid core Teflon. It strips better than stranded, it stays where you put it, and you can put more than one wire in the damn preamp socket lugs :lol:

Better sounding? who knows.

Allynmey
paulruby

Post by paulruby »

Wire type does not affect tone. It's purely personal preference for achieving the wire palcement you want in the amp when building.

Teflon insulation is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It doesn't melt or burn when hit by a soldering iron, which is a huge help for DIY amps. I'm totally spoiled now that I can jam my soldering iron anywhere without concern.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

paulruby wrote: I'm totally spoiled now that I can jam my soldering iron anywhere without concern.
Now if they would just make teflon Cliff Jacks........... :D 8)
Funkalicousgroove

Post by Funkalicousgroove »

This is built with Stranded, it stays in place just fine and doesn't fight back like the solid stuff, I like both but I had cool colors in stranded! BTW Her name is Mariska and I finished her Last night!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owner/Solder Jockey Bludotone Amp Works
teleamp

Post by teleamp »

If you tap a piece of stranded wire and a piece of solid core wire against the chassis you can definitely hear a difference, but if you tin the stranded wire it will sound the same when you hit the chassis with it. But, really I have built amps with both and can not hear a difference, but someone like Eric Johnson probably might (he specs a certain color George L cable and ends in his set-up)
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Funk, looks great! How does it sound? Looks like we cornered the market in NOS DYMO labelers! :lol: How about a full report befor the forum goes down!

Allynmey
Funkalicousgroove

Well, I fired her up for the first time last night, I put New Mullard EL34's in, a Groove tubes 12AX7M in V1 and JJ ECC83's in the other two positions. It's very nice, and EXTREMELY responsive. I didn't get the early VH vibe at all (Of course I don't play like that either so I'm sure that has something to do with it!) When I first fired it up My caps on the Brite switch were slightly microphonic, so I RTV'd them together to eliminate the squeal. I really like it with that 500pf Bright cap engaged and I didn't think I would. As far as tones it's halfway between an AC50 (moreso when I turn the Guitar Volume down) and a Hot-rodded Plexi. I am really surprised at how easily it gives, I really thought it would be stiffer. This is the first dead-on Express clone I've built, all the other ones have been Mod Jobs on SF Bandmasters so they had a choke and JJ 6V6's. I definitely like this one better!!
Elcabong

Post by Elcabong »

Funkalicousgroove wrote: I really like it with that 500pf Bright cap engaged and I didn't think I would.
I was thinking the same but found out that it could give life to an otherwise dark sounding guitar, like the Godin LG P90 I own. And that with just the flick of a switch! The added gain is very noticeable too.
Funkalicousgroove

It's cool, and with my Rocket and a Lehle switcher makes for a totally useable rig! It doesn't have the texture or complexity of my Dumble, but it definitely holds it's own, and is certainly unique enough that I think it'll become a regular gigging amp.
Richie

Post by Richie »

a Groove tubes 12AX7M
I have bought a bunch of these ..and never could get a good one. I would try some tube swapping in the preamp positions.

Richie
Funkalicousgroove

I had a Tung-Sol in there, and it was good, but that 12AX7M made a huge difference. I have real small plate Mullards and I can't hear enough of a difference to warrant the $100 price difference, of course the GT's are usually good for about 10-12hrs before they start doing funky things, but this one has been around for a while and works and sounds great.
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Jackie Treehorn »

Yes, I hear a difference. Solid core imparts a harder top end, in my opinion. I'm talking about when I've messed around with it in hifi applications.
Dai H.

Post by Dai H. »

maybe the size makes some (small) difference, say for high impedance portions or high current. Wire differences have seemed to make a bit of difference sometimes. I suppose it's different for different ears. Best thing is probably just to try it. Say, using a big fat piece of wire for a grid run after the vol. pot (and turn down the pot to make the signal even more impedance), then a real skinny one. Plus the voicing (seems to affect perception). With more highs, seems small differences are more easily perceived.