Can you guys hear a difference between solid core wire?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Normster

Re: Can you guys hear a difference between solid core wire?

Post by Normster »

I'm not sure if I can hear the difference, but I seem to remember that electricity flows on the surface of the wire, not through the core. Stranded wire definately has more surface area. That said, I still use solid wire just because it's easier to work with.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Normster wrote: but I seem to remember that electricity flows on the surface of the wire, not through the core. Stranded wire definately has more surface area. That said, I still use solid wire just because it's easier to work with.
Current traveling on the outer skin of a wire, (If i remember right) is known as hystrisis this only happens at frequencies that are in the RF range not the audio range under normal circumstances.
Richie

Post by Richie »

Why not buy a clone?
Actually, this question points to what really makes Trainwreck amps exceptional. There are companies out there cloning Trainwreck amps. It’s not hard to do because the circuits themselves are not very complex. But the clones never sound nearly as good. You see, Ken knows exactly what every component in his amps does and how it affects the overall sound. He has chosen each component by listening to it. Ken listens to the tonal differences between two brands of the same value capacitor. The type of wire (metal, gauge, solid or stranded, even insulation) matters. So the clones fall short for two reasons:

The manufacturers are not paying attention to numerous details that completely affect the tone of the amp.
The manufacturers don’t have the ears to determine that their amps don’t sound great.

got that from

http://www.trainwreck.com/

Ken and Eric johnson must be related somehow.. I may have to change my phillips head stainless screws to sloted.:)

Richie
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Hi Guy's,
By the wording on that page, it sounds to me that Ken is building amps again
chris