SoZo caps in Express and Liverpool amps?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Mark

SoZo caps in Express and Liverpool amps?

Post by Mark »

I haven't experimented with these caps in an Express or a Liverpool clone, but according to this post on 18watt.com, perhaps these caps could work quite well in a Trainwreck clone. I should point out that I'm quite happy with the Xiron type caps that I have in the Rocket type clone. With all the talk of high brightness levels and harshness in the amps this could be worth considering.

There hasn't been a whole lot of talk about Sozo's around here. Despite my skepticism (but willing to waste $20 and 20 minutes) I put them in my TMB, replacing Mallory 150's, and the tonal difference is substantial.

My ears usually don't hear subtle differences in resistors, caps, whatever... but these things are for real. Whatever upper harshness the amp had before is gone, is smoother, and has more balls. I feel as if I lost a tiny bit of volume, but I welcome that.

Sozo caps should be standard issue for anyone building an 18w or variant, they're that good. I'd like to hear from anyone else swapping out their Mallory or Orange Drops for Sozos:

Also I'm aware that Sergio at Mercury magnetics talks about a break in period for the transformers, (100hrs from memory) has anyone experimented with this sort of thing?

Does the amp mellow after this period?

I know these are off the wall sort of topics, but perhaps worth considering till we discount them as myth?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
snide

sozos

Post by snide »

Hi Mark,

I have Sozos in my express/komet amp. I do alot of hanging around 18watt.com and thats where I first heard of them. I used them in my initial build so I don't have anything to compare them to in this particular amp, but I replaced some orange drops in my Hi Octane with sozos and it did seem to smooth the distortion voice out and remove some harshness. I have placed 3 orders with them and haven't had a problem. My next amp project is a Soldano Atomic 16 and I ordered sozos for that and a Marshall 18 watt down the road.

Eric
Allynmey
Site Admin

Re: SoZo caps in Express and Liverpool amps?

Post by Allynmey »

I just got my long awaited delivery of Sozo caps. In addition I also received my Kiwame resistors. I just finished my 18 watt TMB before receiving them and I guess I'll have to rip it apart (hate to, 'cause it sounds so good :D ) or maybe I'll build a express/komet!

Does anyone have a good express/komet layout to start with or at least a bill of materials with values?

I love the sound of the trainwreck clips in the files section here!

Please point me in the right direction so I can get started!!!

Allynmey