Liverpool preamp question

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

UR12

Liverpool preamp question

Post by UR12 »

What resistor value, for you guys who have built Liverpools, are you using for the resistor from grid to ground on the 3rd stage. The schematic shows 56k. Mark Abbott stated he liked a 68k in that spot and others have said that the preamp is the same as the Express (150K).
Just wondering?
Moose

Re: Liverpool preamp question

Post by Moose »

That's a "by ear" value, actually. The lower the value, the less drive to the phase inverter. That means more chime and clairty, more poweramp breakup, less thickness. Thicken it up by driving the PI harder and you'll have less clean but more mean. Basically, I suggest you change it until you get what you really dig, then leave it.

What you might consider doing is putting in a 150K (which will drive it hard), and playing it. Then clip another 150K in parallel and play it. If you like the former, leave it. I you like the latter, go 68K. Let your ears decide and go with what's best for you.
Chris G

Post by Chris G »

UR12 wrote:What resistor value, for you guys who have built Liverpools, are you using for the resistor from grid to ground on the 3rd stage. The schematic shows 56k. Mark Abbott stated he liked a 68k in that spot and others have said that the preamp is the same as the Express (150K).
Just wondering?
Hi Dana,
In my liverpool I have a 68k, I agree with moose,150k is a little much.....ymmv though, so best to try those 3) 56k,68k,150k, let your ears decide which is best.

I always heard the liverpool was supposed to be the ultimate strat amp.....so I used a strat to tune mine.............funny thing is I belive Allnmey perferd the les paul with it @ Gregs get togeather. :D
Thanks
Chris
rhinson

Post by rhinson »

hello, dana i do the non-original look thing of installing a 100k pot with a 51k resistor to ground as an extra control on the front ("drive", "intensity", etc.) and really like the added control this gives over the circuit. if you just want the original look, just get a 51k resistor and put it in series with a trimpot on the inside of the amp. play and adjust where you like it, take it out and measure the total and install that value as your final resistor. that way no compromise for where you like it best for your set up. rh