I need Mallorys

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

skyboltone

I need Mallorys

Post by skyboltone »

I've built a couple of TW amps with 6PS caps and must say I prefer the Mallorys that I got from Fearless Leader more.

What are y'all using.
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
doctord02

Re: I need Mallorys

Post by doctord02 »

I generally use Mallory 150's or Zoso's in everything... Form factor more than anything, tho I do tend to subscribe to the "Orange Drops are too hi-fi" school.

Arent 6PS' polyester like the Mallory?
dave g

Post by dave g »

Having used pretty much every readily available brand/type of film cap in one amp or another, I also have to say that M150s are my favorite. Kind of disappointing, actually, when you build an amp with hard to find or expensive caps like PVCs or PIOs and you end up liking boring old 150s...
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

the two rock ruby used 618's or 417's or something. I remember looking into it and torres carries them. I think there the same ones dr z uses
rooster

Post by rooster »

I like the M150s, too. I am also running a Sozo .002 in the 3rd gain stage of one of my Expresses, which is a new thing. It seems to sound different than either the PVC ODrop from Allyn Meyers or the M150. However I don't think I want to blind test any of them, you know? There has to be a difference, yes, but I couldn't qualify what that is accurately.

One of the things that I do get into is mixing things up a bit. My thinking here is that maybe one type of cap puts a certain type of spin on the sound, and another cap puts on another type. Eh, could be all wet.

All of this being said, the one clear 'must have' for me is the PVC OD .1 cap, the coupling cap to the phase inverter. Its huge sonically of course, (meaning virtually without frequency limits), but even so I do like it better than the M150 version. I think there is something unique about it over the M150, a kind of BIGNESS to it somehow. Have any of you run into this kind of reaction?

I would suggest you try this one particular cap if you have made a slightly 'uptight' sounding amp. You might have the same reaction.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

rooster wrote:All of this being said, the one clear 'must have' for me is the PVC OD .1 cap, the coupling cap to the phase inverter. Its huge sonically of course, (meaning virtually without frequency limits), but even so I do like it better than the M150 version. I think there is something unique about it over the M150, a kind of BIGNESS to it somehow. Have any of you run into this kind of reaction?

I would suggest you try this one particular cap if you have made a slightly 'uptight' sounding amp. You might have the same reaction.
I got some sets from Allyn coming. I've just never liked the mustard in anything but the Marshall style. Doesn't mean I won't try some though.

There is a certain kinda (for lack of a better term) silkyness to the Mallory orange drop that is missing from the 6PS. Almost certainly my imagination or some other variable. But what the hey, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
breakfastbuddy

to highfi too much high frekvenses

Post by breakfastbuddy »

try a high cut solution shotcut high pitch freekvenses . polyester caps have not so good transforming capabilites as a polycarbonate cap . but maybe that what we want ?
sorry about the bad english .
Espen from Norway
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Try some of the brown polyester caps from Panasonic or NTE while your at it. :wink:
Nigel Tufnel

Post by Nigel Tufnel »

UR12 wrote:Try some of the brown polyester caps from Panasonic or NTE while your at it. :wink:
Those NTE's sound surprisingly good, I used some in a pinch when I was out of the "nicer" brands and was disappointed when I replaced them with the more expensive caps. They're very smooth without being soft, I do like the mallory PVC's quite a bit though.
UR12

Post by UR12 »

Nigel Tufnel wrote:
UR12 wrote:Try some of the brown polyester caps from Panasonic or NTE while your at it. :wink:
Those NTE's sound surprisingly good, I used some in a pinch when I was out of the "nicer" brands and was disappointed when I replaced them with the more expensive caps. They're very smooth without being soft, I do like the mallory PVC's quite a bit though.
Personally I think the material the caps are made of have more to do with the sound than the style or manufacturer. I can't hear a difference between the 6ps and the PVC or the brown caps. The 6ps and the PVCs are reportedly coming from the same build line and labled either 6ps or pvc at the end of the line. Same cap different lable. Too much mojo for me :roll: When you switch to polypropolyene or mylar you may hear a difference and oh and BTW those Mallory 150s are polyester too, just like the PS and PVC and Panasonic and NTE.
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

UR12 wrote:
Nigel Tufnel wrote:
Personally I think the material the caps are made of have more to do with the sound than the style or manufacturer. I can't hear a difference between the 6ps and the PVC or the brown caps. The 6ps and the PVCs are reportedly coming from the same build line and labled either 6ps or pvc at the end of the line. Same cap different lable. Too much mojo for me :roll: When you switch to polypropolyene or mylar you may hear a difference and oh and BTW those Mallory 150s are polyester too, just like the PS and PVC and Panasonic and NTE.
Makes sense Dana. I just know that in two recent builds SOME variable changed. One of the amps had much more bloom and harmonic content. It was the one built with Allyns Mallorys. The other one just never came alive in the same way. It was good, just not as good. It was built with 6ps.
novosibir

Post by novosibir »

Don't forget the ERO/RoedersteinMKT1813

Compared to the Mallory 150's they do have about the same sweet highs, do have a slightly better mid pronouncation and are not as diffus in the lows as the Mallory 150's
I've never heard about, neither tried NTE's yet!
Are these also axial tubular's - and where do you get it from?

Larry
Larry's Website now with included Pix's Gallery
UR12

Post by UR12 »

novosibir wrote:
I've never heard about, neither tried NTE's yet!
Are these also axial tubular's - and where do you get it from?

Larry
I think Allied Electronics sells the Panasonic and Mouser should have the NTE. They are made like the orange drop (sort of) so I guess you would say they are radial with both leads coming out the bottom

http://www.nteinc.com/capacitor_web/pdf/mlr.pdf

http://www-images.panasonic.com/industr ... 000CE7.pdf
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

I wonder if the brown Xicon polyester films are the same as the brown Panasonics that are used in the rockets??
I had the Xicons on hand but ordered the Panasonics for my Rocket.
:oops:
fishy

Post by fishy »

So you will have the parts on hand for an A/B test......sweet :)