Pot grounding buss lugs

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stevek66

Pot grounding buss lugs

Post by stevek66 »

Has anyone got any of these they can spare????
I went to log onto Ampwares to buy some and see he went out of Biz.
Wasn't he about the only place to get those @*$# things :evil: .I used up my stash of them on my last Express build.
What did Ken use on the originals for Pots? Were they CTE's?Maybe I'll go a different route than useing PEC's.Something you can solder to the back of.
Anyone else using something different?
Thanks Steve
Ron Worley

Re: Pot grounding buss lugs

Post by Ron Worley »

Ken soldered the buss wire to the back of the Alpha (I think) pots that he used.

As I noted to you in your PM, these things are as hard to find as the damn .092 hole sized flea clips....

Ron
sst4270

DIY Solder Tabs

Post by sst4270 »

Okay... So I was looking into having a batch of these solder tabs made because like so many others have stated they are hard to find. And obviously and understandably those who have them have chosen to hold on to them due to their scarcity. In the mean time... I was in the middle of a Rocket build so I came up with what think is an elegant solution. See attached rendering.
I used some 14 ga. silver plated copper wire (the same wire that I use as buss wire) and some small round needle nose pliers I formed the solder tabs. It only took a few minutes to get the shape right, and then it took about 10 more minutes to make four of them. See attached photo of the final product.
I realize that it’s not ‘authentic’, but it does serve the correct function. I used the internal tooth lock washer that’s supplied with the pot in between the formed solder tab and the chassis. Because the wire is thicker than the stamped solder tabs you’ll lose a little threading on the pot but there’s still enough thread length left for the nut to be fully threaded onto the pot.
Also because there's not much room between the PEC pots I had to rotate the wire from 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock. Again see photo. That’s about it. Enjoy.

Steve

I’ll be posting all the photos of the amp when I get it into a cabinet. The amp is dead quiet! I’ll be posting clips too along with the photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
stevek66

Re: DIY Solder Tabs

Post by stevek66 »

sst4270 wrote:Okay... So I was looking into having a batch of these solder tabs made because like so many others have stated they are hard to find. And obviously and understandably those who have them have chosen to hold on to them due to their scarcity. In the mean time... I was in the middle of a Rocket build so I came up with what think is an elegant solution. See attached rendering.
I used some 14 ga. silver plated copper wire (the same wire that I use as buss wire) and some small round needle nose pliers I formed the solder tabs. It only took a few minutes to get the shape right, and then it took about 10 more minutes to make four of them. See attached photo of the final product.
I realize that it’s not ‘authentic’, but it does serve the correct function. I used the internal tooth lock washer that’s supplied with the pot in between the formed solder tab and the chassis. Because the wire is thicker than the stamped solder tabs you’ll lose a little threading on the pot but there’s still enough thread length left for the nut to be fully threaded onto the pot.
Also because there's not much room between the PEC pots I had to rotate the wire from 9 o'clock to 10 o'clock. Again see photo. That’s about it. Enjoy.

Steve

I’ll be posting all the photos of the amp when I get it into a cabinet. The amp is dead quiet! I’ll be posting clips too along with the photos.
Hey Man,really nice looking build thier.
I'll have to check out that buss wire,good idea.
I too was contemplating making up something myself.
Thanks for the info.
Steve
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

Ron Worley wrote:Ken soldered the buss wire to the back of the Alpha (I think) pots that he used.

As I noted to you in your PM, these things are as hard to find as the damn .092 hole sized flea clips....

Ron
Hey thanks Ron for the info.
I don't remeber PMing you though.
Need clips of that amp :D

Steve
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Sorry Steve, I thought it was you that PM'd, but it wasn't.

However, in that PM, I suggested exactly what SST4270 did above as a work around.

I too am considering having some of the correct lugs made up, but having a stamp press tool made is apparently not a cheap thing.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Grounding lugs for BNC connectors could be what you are looking for.....
Lugs for isolated BNCs hav an appx 1/2"hole....
Non isolated lugs are roughly 10mm or 3/8....

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... ARF1067-ND
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

That actually might just work, trim off one lead and fashion some sort of attachment at the end....

Ron
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

There's one lug and two lug versions.....depending on make and type of use, - isolated or non isolated....
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

Hey Aurora,
Good find.I think I'll order some of those.
Digi-key is about the only damned catalog I don't have.
Thanks man

Steve
sst4270

BNC solder tabs

Post by sst4270 »

I ordered a bunch of the one lug versions. They're too short.
I can't comment on the two lug versions.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Steve-

Don't buy them from Digikey.... here's a nice little known electronics industry site for getting the best prices:

www.octopart.com

Digikey is selling them at ~$.75 ea.... I did a google on the PN:

https://www.123edistribution.com/catalo ... +++IBM+LUG

These guys sell them for $.53 ea and down to $.38 if you buy over 25, $.33 for a hundred.....

Ya gotta shop around!!

Ron
gahult

Post by gahult »

You could try this.

Bend lug, slip on terminal, crimp it, squeeze the end to make it oval,solder it.

Your good to go.

Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird , and they take Prozac to make it normal.
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

The 2-lug version seems to be the same dimensions as what I got from Ampwares, except for the extra lug, of course.
Last edited by drhulsey on Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Being in Europe, I've never ordered anything from Digikey, Mouser etc.
- except once from Digikey for company parts- some transistors I couldn't find elsewhere here in Europe....I'll have to leave it to you US guys to sort out who's best at your side of the big pond..

In general terms, it is becoming a real problem though, both professionally and privately, that most of the small component retailers have gone out of business and only the dinosaurs are left....
Even as a small professional business, you're just not interesting enough with your order of tens or sometimes hundreds.. 10.000 or more seems to be the figures that'll just barely make them interested.... :(

I work in sounding rocket telemetry systems and geophysical instrumentation, and the hunt for special or odd parts is becoming more and more difficult these days. Sigh... :cry: