rocket transformers

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

paisley_tele

rocket transformers

Post by paisley_tele »

rooster

Re: rocket transformers

Post by rooster »

The PT might be OK if you use the lower VAC taps>540VAC. The OT is probably lamo, look for something better quality around 4000 ohms primary - NOT 5600 ohms - and with 3 taps, 4-8-16.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
paisley_tele

Post by paisley_tele »

would a hammond 125e work
fishy

Post by fishy »

Are you planning on a full Rocket build or just a 2 holer.
They run heavily biased and the 4 el84s will take ~180mA.

I might be wrong, but that PT looks a bit light for a full Rocket build and you will require something more stout.
tubetek

Post by tubetek »

"would a hammond 125e work"
Not nearly...It's rated at 15 watts at limited bandwidth; one of the trademarks of TW designs is the overspec'd power AND output transformers. IMO, if you skimp here, you will build an amp; just don't expect it to sound/perform like a TW. Check the specs of the old DYNACO A470 OT; this is basically what KF used in the ROCKET. It weighs in at about 7 lbs; the 125E is about 1.5 lbs. The DYNACO is reted at 70 watts @ 30-15khz...compare that to the 125E. Hope this helps...
Tom
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Besides the Heyboer PT HTS-9144 and OT HTS08093-1 what other trannies would work for the Rocket build.

CH Hammond 158L

Mark
rooster

Post by rooster »

Mark - Was that a question? :?
rooster

Post by rooster »

One OT that I did find that looks pretty good for a Rocket or Liverpool, if you are interested in AC30 tone, is the new Hammond piece that's being made for a Traynor amp. Its 4-8-16 and its primary is 3900 ohms - primary specs that match the OT in An AC30 - and its pretty big, rated at 50 watts. Worth looking at I think, but not cheap.

What I wish is that Hammond - or somebody - would make a 30 watt OT with a primary of 7800 ohms with output taps of 4-8-16-32. This way, you could run either a pair of 6V6s - or a quad of EL84s,which would reduce the primary to 3900 ohms and the output taps to 2-4-8-16. Man, this would be ideal for my needs. Eh, dream on I guess.

Happy Thanksgiving to all who visit this site, BTW. This is a great site with some great members. 8)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Rooster

Yes that was a question. I have read the posts and know what Heyboer trannies to use but since they are hard to get I was wondering if there are other trannies I could use like the Hammonds or others. I did get ahold of RJ and he also noted the A470 is being used but I am not against using other brands of trannies for my own personal amp builds.

Mark
tubetek

Post by tubetek »

Mark-
If Roger doesn't have any 470s left, try Triode Electronics "Dynaclone" 470 OT; available at the address below:

http://store.triodestore.com/

The correct parts for a TW build seem somewhat pricey until you consider what a "real" TW would cost you to purchase (IF even available!) AND the quality of what you will end up with, even compared to other "BOO-TEEK" amps around today.
Hope this helps...
Tom
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

OK I ordered the A-470S from Triode and the 158L choke from Parts Express so I am still looking where to get the Heyboer PT HTS-9144. Any ideas guys?

Mark
da Geezer

Post by da Geezer »

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I have already talked with toneslut and others about getting this tranny and no luck so far. Thanks

Mark
dave g

Post by dave g »

The 9144 is 250-0-250. The Toneslut PT is 260-0-260. Oh, and by the way, there's like a 20% tolerance on these things....

The Toneslut will work fine and, for all practical purposes, is the same thing but with some extra taps.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Maybe I got confused because when I talked with toneslut he said didn't stock the tranny set for the rocket and so I assumed he didn't have what I needed, but looking back I think he was just saying he did carry the heyboer OT and uses the A-470S instead. I will have to email him and see if that is what he meant.

Mark