Hoffman style Xpress board

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

joebob

Hoffman style Xpress board

Post by joebob »

Here is a different version of the Hoffman layout for an Xpress. There are differences; the input is on the right and power switch on the left. I believe this to be accurate. I know there are die hard wreck fans that consider this blasphemous but if J Marshall said I can't do anything with this fender amp. He'd be selling shoes in London. Or if HAD said I'm not going to waste my time with this 5F6A, I'm going to San Francisco and sell Incense. Where would we be? I was just thinking out of the box, playing around trying something different. The placement of some parts is not written in stone, the OT & PT obviously could be moved around some as well as the finals. Yes, there is no filament wiring in the layout. I would think a DIYer or builder wouldn't need his hand held for everything.
Hey, I have 2 weeks off and it's too cold outside to do anything else, and i've finished my Christmas shopping already.
Dave
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by joebob on Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Instructions...I don't need no stinkin instructions
gahult

Re: Hoffman style Xpress board

Post by gahult »

None except the first thing that hits me is you're trying to stuff 17 1/2 in.
of board into a 17 in. chassis.

Gary
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird , and they take Prozac to make it normal.
Jana

Post by Jana »

shoehorn?
gahult

Post by gahult »

And Vaseline, that 17" outside.

Gary
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird , and they take Prozac to make it normal.
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

My guess is that the proximity of the PS / filtering to the Preamp and the ensuing changes in lead dress will make this amp sound different than an Express. It certainly could be noisier and less stable.

Uncle Kenny had a reason for how he did a lot of things..... YMMV....

Ron
bnwitt

Post by bnwitt »

Wow, everyone and their dog is using my visio templates :lol: :lol:

I would suggest canning the 25 watt cement resistor for a 5 watt. The 25 watt is tremendous overkill and you can condense your board with the smaller one.
Great things happen in a vacuum
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

bnwitt wrote:Wow, everyone and their dog is using my visio templates...
That's what you get for being so generous :!:
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
FYL

Post by FYL »

From my files. The 47pF crossline cap is missing, some component values aren't canonical, grounding is Hoffman-style.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jana

Post by Jana »

This is just a suggestion.

One thing that strikes me is the long runs from the filter caps to the points on the board. The high voltage line is laid out nicely and is kept very clean and short but then the filter caps have the long runs. If it was me, I would
1. do away with the cap board
2. move the main board a tiny bit to the right, this would line up things even more on the tube side with the board
3. put cap cans under the board, maybe half under, half exposed on the control side. They would be very close to the resistors in the B+ string. The leads would then be very short for both the grounds and +.

I know this would be a significant deviation from the TW "grail" as far as the type and brand of filter caps used so maybe this isn't an option for you.

If you're set on using these caps, maybe a dog house, fender style, on the top side of the amp? Leads would be longer than cans but still shorter than it is now.

Or, if the chassis is deep enough, mount the caps right on the board, either topside or underneath?

Just some thoughts.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

If you are going to go "Hoffman style", look 'round his website to see how he distributes the power supply caps along the length of the chassis. I recall a Fender rebuild that looked especially clean with the supply caps tucked between the board and front panel.
bnwitt

Post by bnwitt »

I've built many a Hoffman style amp and many of them in old fender chassis with the cap can on the back of the chassis. This of course makes some of the wires from caps to the point on the board long. This causes absolutely no problem at all and no noise. So, I wouldn't worry about the long wires, just don't run them near any signal wires. I would run them in a bundle under the board down close to the chassis and peal each one off as it arrives at it's tie in point. Use a different color for each wire and don't connect them to the end of the board like you have them shown.
joebob

Post by joebob »

He does the string of filter caps on the bassman 5f6a, i believe. I am going to make the changes people have suggested and re-post sometime. Thanks for all the input. I tried to keep the flavor of the express as much as possible with this layout.

D
bnwitt

Post by bnwitt »

joebob wrote:He does the string of filter caps on the bassman 5f6a,
D
He does it on a lot of amps but you don't have to.
joebob

Post by joebob »

I changed the layout and posted a complete amp.
Jana

Post by Jana »

joebob,

I like the way you have put the caps on the board, this certainly makes a short run for the + side. But why run the grounds for the B+4 and 5 caps over to the ground lug? I would ground them to the ground wire that runs right underneath them. The B+3 cap, I would ground that to the buss/ground on the back of the presence pot. just my thoughts. :)

(everybody's an expert, especially when someone else is doing the work, lol)