Rocket finished

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

M Fowler

Rocket finished

Post by M Fowler »

Well its about time my 5 watt and 3 watt resistors came in and able to fire the amp up. Found two wires for V2 wired wrong then it came to life. Next time I won't be going with all red wires, to confusing. :roll:

I have to say I think the Rocket may be the better amp for lead playing :D

What say all of you?

Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Blind Lemon

Re: Rocket finished

Post by Blind Lemon »

Looks great very clean build. Where'd you get your big parts,transformers, chassis..............

What tubes are you using?
BL
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thank you I did not do a very good job I don't think. Sloppy.

Allyn Meyers chassis
Triode Store A-470S Dynaclone OT
RJ Guitar PT 245/0/245
JoeBob for board
Apexjr for Bournes pots
Allied Electric misc. parts
Mojo misc. parts
Mouser misc. parts
Turretboards.com misc. parts
George Metropolous misc. parts
AES misc. parts

I had most things on hand from previous overstocking from my orders as it doesn't make sense to go little when you are paying so much freight and handling charges. I have had to learn the hard way to order more higher watt resistors like 2w 3w and 5w to keep on hand. Nothing can be bought local or relied upon rather.

JJ tubes; however I did try various preamp tubes including GT and Sovtek.
12ax7LPS & WA (Sovtek), 12ax7M(GT), Ecc83S (JJ), 5751(GT), 12at7 (GT) all in different arrangements.

The best sounding for crunch was the JJ in all spots. I don't have anything other than JJ for the EL84s. The cleanest was from ECC83S (JJ) V1; 12at7 (GT) V2; and 12at7 (GT) V3. Now I realze you don't run the at7 in those spots but I did it anyway for comparison. 5751 in V2 spot is nice still get good crunch with harmonics.

Mark
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

I'll bet she sounds as good as she looks 8)
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Tim,

It does sound good and I was only testing those tubes into an Epiphone 1-12 bottom maybe tomorrow I can run it into a 412 or 212. I have never tried recording my amps just maybe my friend can record me just one time. I will try. Not good with uploading electronic files.

Tim,
On the medical side of things, I was tired of being stuffed into those culvert sized MRIs so this time I asked VA if I could try an open MRI. Wow those are wonderful I could look at the ceiling for the whole 55 minutes. My arms and legs went numb but what the heck no fighting the claustraphobia in the tunnel while trying to not move due to pain. Ain't life wonderful. :D

Mark
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Looks good Mark! 8)
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Allyn

Thanks a compliment coming from someone like you that builds such great looking amps is so nice. :D

Mark
stevek66

Post by stevek66 »

Hey Mark,
Very nice looking build..I also would agree that the Rocket is a wicked lead amp.Mine cranked with a Les Paul is pretty awe inspiring.
Again nice looking build
Steve
Rimy

Post by Rimy »

Mark.

looks good your rocket! :D

Ralph
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks guys,

I ran it through my 212 open back cab with celestion vintage 30s and it was a pleasure with either LP or Strat. I think I will have a lot of fun with this one. Made the bottom plate and mounted it in my cab. Decided not to mess with it unless I need to. I did not like it run through my Dr Z 212 blues though.

Not the best build or cleanest but I will learn to do better and we have a great community of people willing to help us out.

Mark