Express with Orange 4x12?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

leaveitalone84

Express with Orange 4x12?

Post by leaveitalone84 »

Has anyone ever tried an express or liverpool through a Orange 4x12? I'm thinking with the extra depth it'll have some good low end punch that the Express is sometimes missing.
rfgordon

Re: Express with Orange 4x12?

Post by rfgordon »

I think it would sound fine. My question is: Why would anyone buy that beast of a cabinet? It's enormously heavy and comes on ridiculous wooden skids instead of casters. Of course, it's grossly overpriced, too.

Don't get me wrong, I love the feel of roaring thru a 4x12 as much as the next guy (or gal). But let's be honest--in the age of PA systems and noise ordinances, the half-stack is a dinosaur.
Rich Gordon
www.myspace.com/bigboyamplifiers

"The takers get the honey, the givers get the blues." --Robin Trower
leaveitalone84

Post by leaveitalone84 »

Well I have a deal for one without speakers for $350 locally.

I was going to throw in some warehouse speakers green berets.

I need a 4x12 cause the drummer I'm playing with is LOUD and the bassist...even more so. Plus I need to keep up with the 2nd guitarist and my 2x12 Alnico loaded cab doesn't cut it. Compresses too fast.
selloutrr

Post by selloutrr »

Nothing is sexier then an orange 4x12 roosting on top of an orange 6x12 :D The half stack might be gone but the full stack lives on, come on it's ORANGE!!!

I'm sure the Trainwreck would sound impressive but so would an early 70's Orange graphic 80 or 120. plug in a Mosrite venture and Oh Baby!!!

If you want the same tone / box volume. but less cost look for the fender reissue sunn model T 4x12 it's a very close clone of the orange 4x12. at about half the cost! standard with 75w celestians.
My Daughter Build Stone Henge
leaveitalone84

Post by leaveitalone84 »

selloutrr wrote:Nothing is sexier then an orange 4x12 roosting on top of an orange 6x12 :D The half stack might be gone but the full stack lives on, come on it's ORANGE!!!

I'm sure the Trainwreck would sound impressive but so would an early 70's Orange graphic 80 or 120. plug in a Mosrite venture and Oh Baby!!!

If you want the same tone / box volume. but less cost look for the fender reissue sunn model T 4x12 it's a very close clone of the orange 4x12. at about half the cost! standard with 75w celestians.
Thanks for the heads up on the Sunn T 4x12! I have a '74 Orange OD120 that's nice....like the trainwreck more...
Richie

Post by Richie »

if you want a cab that sounds fantastic.. find one of the older taller sunn 4x12 cabs..the ones like leslie west used in the early days. speaker look like thy are an a shape mount or sig zag.. those sound good with about any speakers you throw in them..but some really good speakers,it will sound better than any marshall cab..
the older orange cabs are also nice cabs,and well built. My cousin had one,and it was the only thing that survived a crash they had going to a gig.. the equipment truck was torn in half..and they were all in the hospital for 6 months. but that cab made it through.
philmanatee

Post by philmanatee »

The one recording I used my express on was through a hiwatt bottom cab loaded with bass cone g12m's, it sounded pretty badass. Phil
leaveitalone84

Post by leaveitalone84 »

Thanks for all the info guys!

Have you all seen these cabs?

http://www.groovedogcabs.com

In the showcase he has some custom 4x12's he made for Rich Robinson of the Black Crowes, they look deep like the Orange dimensions and are made of solid Cypress. So it's really light....and he doesn't use any screws in the cab. Even the baffle has groves in the side/top panels to fit it tightly....
geetarpicker

Post by geetarpicker »

I played my original Express through a new Orange 4x12 and the cab sounded suprisingly good. I normally do not really like vintage 30s though they are better than alot of speakers these days. I guess the extra fatness of the big cab helps to pull the attention away from the normally harsh top of the vintage 30. That said, I think the Trainwreck circuit is voiced for a 4x12 and once you play a 4x12 with a Wreck there is no turning back to smaller boxes. I would assume an old Orange 4x12 may have even warmer sounding speakers than the new reissue 4x12s. It seems whenever I record or perform with smaller cabs than a 4x12 (with the Wreck) I need to EQ in alot of low end at the board, where the 4x12 can typically be run flat.
leaveitalone84

Post by leaveitalone84 »

geetarpicker wrote:I played my original Express through a new Orange 4x12 and the cab sounded suprisingly good. I normally do not really like vintage 30s though they are better than alot of speakers these days. I guess the extra fatness of the big cab helps to pull the attention away from the normally harsh top of the vintage 30. That said, I think the Trainwreck circuit is voiced for a 4x12 and once you play a 4x12 with a Wreck there is no turning back to smaller boxes. I would assume an old Orange 4x12 may have even warmer sounding speakers than the new reissue 4x12s. It seems whenever I record or perform with smaller cabs than a 4x12 (with the Wreck) I need to EQ in alot of low end at the board, where the 4x12 can typically be run flat.
My buddy used to have a vintage Orange 4x12 with Greenbacks. I think that cab sounded better than the Vintage 30 ones.

I agree with you that the Trainwrecks are voiced for big boxes. And honestly, they really arn't THAT loud. My buddies JCM 900 and 4x12 is way louder.

Once you get over the fact that the 4x12 is a pain in the ass to lug around it's okay. I've been lugging my vintage Ampeg SVT and 8x10 around lately so a 4x12 is a nice change of pace.
leaveitalone84

Post by leaveitalone84 »

Edit: Double Post