New 80 Watt Wreck done!

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

stevek66

Re: New 80 Watt Wreck done!

Post by stevek66 »

Wow ...Allyn.Thats sick.
I like the bias arrangement.Very cool amp.
Steve
tubedogsmith

Post by tubedogsmith »

I built three similar amps a few years ago, mine ended up around 65 watts. I kept the b+ around 400v and used a 3.2k primary impedance on the OT. I got a lot more bass on mine than a regular wreck. What kinda specs did you end up with for your trannies on yours?

Post by 84k »

the amp is mine. holy sh!t. no joke. Allyn. this has to go into production. it is unbelievable. I cannot stop playing it. holy sh!t.

It has all the tone I love from an express, but the fullness of a plexi on the low end. Express amps always sound like small amps to me... they don't have much sub and the compress like crazy with cranked with guitar volume max'd out. This amp Allyn built me retains all the feature of the Express, but solves the things I don't like. It is loud enough to play with a drummer who knows how to hit and it is more present then an express build. Warmer. Less hiss. More tone. way more bottom, but it is a tight bottom. it is like a wreck express meets a plexi. It is nice to hear that wreck tone with enough spl to make the speakers shake and get that thing going on. It doesn't sound choked at all. What an effin masterpiece. No lie. I am blown away.
dr. who

Post by dr. who »

please post some sound clips
drhulsey

Post by drhulsey »

84k wrote: ... I cannot stop playing it. holy sh!t... I am blown away.
Sounds like our Fearless Leader has satisfied 84k's quest for the
Sang' Real :!: Tonal enlightenment :D Sonic Nirvana :!:
May we all reach that point 8)
Tim

In case the NSA is listening, KMA!

Post by 84k »

hell yes! I will be tracking some stuff at Electric Lady in 2 weeks with a band... I plan to bring this beast. I'll get some clips together. Before listening, check your bank accounts. :wink:

Allyn's amp can only be fully appreciated in person, because of the extra 'fullness' over an express. With an Express, I can add the 60 & 180 cycles with the pultecs and neves (respectively), with this amp the bottom is already there in the room.
guitarsnguns04

Post by guitarsnguns04 »

It looks a lot like my K80...I wonder how similar they really are? I will look at the pics and try to compare layout values etc. If its like the K80 I understand the love you have for it. Amazing amps!! Allyn..thats awesome looking amp..great work as always!!
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Kris, thanks for the kind words. GnG04, it's not based on a Komet at all...I had a faceplate design that I changed for this amp. It seemed to fit looks-wise. It's based on a.......wreck! NFB adjustments, Screen adjustments, Capacitance adjustments but, still based on a wreck.
mumford

Post by mumford »

84k wrote:hell yes! I will be tracking some stuff at Electric Lady in 2 weeks with a band... I plan to bring this beast. I'll get some clips together. Before listening, check your bank accounts. :wink:
If electric lady hasn't changed since I was there 3-4 years ago, bring your own power conditioner. REALLY BAD power.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Mumford,

Glad you brought that subject up, I have been eyeballing a rack mount power supply/filter conditioner so that it will maintain a constant 120v what do you guys recommend, use or on wish list?

Allyn your not going to share more info on this amp are you? :(

Mark

Post by 84k »

mumford wrote:
84k wrote:hell yes! I will be tracking some stuff at Electric Lady in 2 weeks with a band... I plan to bring this beast. I'll get some clips together. Before listening, check your bank accounts. :wink:
If electric lady hasn't changed since I was there 3-4 years ago, bring your own power conditioner. REALLY BAD power.
I have done around 50 albums there. Never had a problem with the power. Water that runs under the building, yes, but not with the power.
guitarsnguns04

Post by guitarsnguns04 »

very cool amp..Allyn thanks for clarifying that for me. I cant wait to hear the clips.
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

M Fowler wrote:Mumford,

Mark
What would you like to know? :wink:
mumford

Post by mumford »

84k wrote: I have done around 50 albums there. Never had a problem with the power. Water that runs under the building, yes, but not with the power.
You clearly have more experience than I do, carry on. :lol:

I was in the 3rd floor room (I think it's C?), and both the power and headphone setup gave us nothing but trouble. I saw some of the "swamp 2 inches below the floor" stuff but didn't track down there.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

Allynmey wrote:
M Fowler wrote:Mumford,

Mark
What would you like to know? :wink:
Let's see here.

Schematic
Layout
BOM