Mallory Electrolytics

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jeffkt

Mallory Electrolytics

Post by jeffkt »

Were is a good place to purchase Mallory Electrolytics.
Mark

Mouser perhaps?

Post by Mark »

I don't know if Mouser is one of the better places to buy these caps from, but they do sell them.

The part numbers are as follows:

Mouser part number for 9.1K metal oxide resistors : 283-9.1k

Mouser part number for 25 watt “choke” resistor: 280-cr25-1K

Liverpool cathode resistor: either 280-cr10-50 (value) note 47,50,56,62, and 68 ohms are available.

18 watt cathode resistors: 280-cr10-130 130 ohms at ten watts.

Note 100,120,130 and 150 ohms available.

Mallory filter caps.

Pre-amp cathode bypass caps.

20uF at 25VDC:

Pre-amp power supply caps.

20uF at 450VDC: 538-TC75

Screen grid power supply caps.

40uF at 450VDC: 539-TC78

Output stage supply cap.

80uF at 450VDC:

2 X Bias caps.

10uF at 1XX VDC:

Alternative bias cap value.

100uF at 1XX VDC

Output stage cathode bypass cap

250uF at 25VDC: 539-25025A

If anyone else has the name of a supplier and the full range of parts numbers required, I too would love to hear about them.

Mind you I have been toying with the idea of using Sprague Atoms as they are more easily available.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
jeffkt

caps

Post by jeffkt »

The mallory electrolytics were used in my real Trainwreck Express. I sold the amp many years ago. I had no idea these amps would be selling for $10,000.00 plus. I kick myself everyday! I remember Ken saying he liked the sound of the Mallory caps. They are a lot more expensive then the Sprague Atoms. I had no idea Mouser sold them. Thanks for the tip.
Mark

The big question.

Post by Mark »

Dear JeffKT

I suppose the big question is did you take any photo's of your amp, did you draw the circuit of your particular Trainwreck out?

Regarding selling your Trainwreck, at least you had the forsight to buy one in the first place. It was all over before many of us could even make a purchase.

Nice talking to you.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
jeffkt

Trainwreck Express thoughts

Post by jeffkt »

I have no pics of my Trainwreck Express. I do have a schematic. I will post it as soon as I re-draw it on the computer. The key to these amps I think is the transformers. If we can nail the Power and Output design we should get the sound real close. The B+ on my amp with the output tubes drawing 30ma of current ea. was 400 volts. The layout of the transformers and the circuit is also very important in my opinion. What are your thoughts.
I have included the following link of a 18 watt EF86 amp I built. There is a schematis and a sound file also.

http://www.geocities.com/jeffkt20164/
Mark

Re: Mallory Electrolytics

Post by Mark »

Dear Jeff

I have tried a few output transformers with various prototype clones that I have built. I agree having a good transformer is essential.

I'm quite keen to see your circuit diagram, I'd also like to see a drawing of how the power supply was laid out. I think I've mentioned this in various posts that every company who has ever made a Trainwreck clone has copied the layout of the main board but never the power supply layout. I wonder if they were all laid out like the "Ginger" amp?

I suppose this is more for my curiosity. A rough drawing of the layout of your amp would be wonderful. What was the name of the amp you use to own?

I did check out your amp, I'm in the process of building an 18 watt Marshall clone. I had considered using the EF-86 tube, but decided against it when I heard of all the hassle with the remaining old stock and new tubes being microphonic. Have you had any problems with these pentodes?

Also do you use your amp as a head or will it be a combo?

Look forward to hearing from you again.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Jeff,
what brand of Trannies did you use for the EF86 amp?? It sounds really nice. I think it would sound really nice with my LP Deluxe and I would love to build one. I have a 18 watt clone built but have never fired it up due to the rectifier decision I have to make. Not sure what I wouldlike to use but the EF86 sounds great.

Thanks for any info you can pass along :-)

Mike
Chris G

Re: Trainwreck Express thoughts

Post by Chris G »

jeffkt wrote:I have no pics of my Trainwreck Express. I do have a schematic. I will post it as soon as I re-draw it on the computer. The key to these amps I think is the transformers. If we can nail the Power and Output design we should get the sound real close. The B+ on my amp with the output tubes drawing 30ma of current ea. was 400 volts. The layout of the transformers and the circuit is also very important in my opinion. What are your thoughts.
I have included the following link of a 18 watt EF86 amp I built. There is a schematis and a sound file also.

http://www.geocities.com/jeffkt20164/
Hi Jeff,
I like that small 18 watter you did,I remember e-mailing you about it awhile ago.........I built my own version of that circut.......it sounded good but I had problems with the ef86's I had, anyway nice job on that !!!!!
thanks
Chris
jeffkt

Post by jeffkt »

Mark,

As far as i know the power supply is layed out the same in all Trainwrecks.
I have seen inside an express, liverpool and rocket. The only difference of course was the cathode bias in the liverpool and rocket. I think it was layed out that way to make it all fit in a 2 inch tall chassis. I am still working on a drawing. hope to have it posted by the end of the week. I just ordered the power and output trans. from Toneslut. I remember the transformers in my trainwreck were made by Pacific Transformer Co. I think they are in California.

Talk to you later,

Jeff
jeffkt

Post by jeffkt »

Mike,

I used transformers from the 18 watt marshall clone site.
www.18watt.com
Later,

Jeff
Mark

Layout and transformers

Post by Mark »

Dear JeffKT

I'll look forward to seeing your drawing.

Of course you are correct about the transformers, they are normally built by Pacific, however they are almost impossible to get without owning a Trainwreck (I imagine.)

We here have had a stoke of good luck with Heybour being prepared to sell us the same transformers that Ken Fischer once ordered. :lol:

Thanks again for your assistance.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
jeffkt

Post by jeffkt »

Mallory electrolytics (type TC) and Mallory (type PVC) siginal caps available here http://www.cde.com/
Both were used in my real Trainwreck
Allynmey
Site Admin

Post by Allynmey »

Hi Jeff, I also am looking forward to your layout. I'm gathering parts now for my wreck. I have the same PT and OT you have from Chris. I'm having some tagboards made for me now, should have them by the weekend. Do you have a BOM for parts? I'd like to order what I need in advance of seeing your much anticipated layout.

Thanks,
Allynmey