Q regarding 2nd gain stage & EQ

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RobBozic

Q regarding 2nd gain stage & EQ

Post by RobBozic »

Hi,

In a Express type amp if you removed the TMB EQ & installed a simple Vol & Tone (6G3 Fender) EQ would you still need the 2nd gain stage?

Input - Gain stage 1 - Vol / Tone - 2nd Gain Stage (typical TW 3rd Gain stage) - PI etc..

How different would this to a typical TW in terms of gain & distortion?

Thanks
Rob
soma_hero

Re: Q regarding 2nd gain stage & EQ

Post by soma_hero »

If you wanted to play with tone stacks, you could replace the TMB with a simpler tone control but I wouldn't take out the gain stage. It's not necessarily there to make-up gain lost in the tone stage. The express is a balance of three cascaded gain stages, taking one out its a different amp.

I think with these amps, build them for what they are and enjoy the design. If you start taking things like gain stages out, it really isn't an Express anymore is it? Might as well just build a Blackface
rooster

Post by rooster »

Ditto what Soma said. The only exception to this idea I can think of is that you are so disappointed with the Express that you wish you had a different amp. And here, if you are sure it is running correctly, then maybe you have a case.

Me, I really like the Express and it sounds like Soma does, too. So forgive me then if I insist that you like the Express like I do? :shock: Frankly, on this forum I have seen more than a few people build one and then slide away from it, either selling it on the For Sale listing or maybe some other way. When I see this I always wonder if their amp sounds like mine does, you know? And how would I ever know this? Its too bad there is not a common Express everybody can play test against. Me, I found one that Alan Phillips built and this made all the difference in my build. And I mean here that I could play and hear mine side by side to his. Truth be told, it caused me to gut my first one and start over which was a great move. When you think about it, anybody here is who is actually building a clone that is worth a shite has either played an original or hopefully perhaps, a great clone.

So, not to beat this horse any longer, and not knowing the depth of your experience, I would encourage you to find a great example. Play it and if that amp/build sounds - and feels - every bit as good as yours - and if you still are not impressed - then try some modding if you want. Clearly then you are not a 'stock' Express guy. No worries. It is your amp afterall, you can do what you want with it. 8)
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
RobBozic

Post by RobBozic »

Thanks guys. I haven't built an Express, it was just a technical question regarding the Express's circuit.

I've heard a good clone down here in Australia, which is now being used by the guitarist Dave Leslie from the Baby Animals. Maybe one day I'll build one.

Thanks
Rob
MBD115

Post by MBD115 »

The single tone knob will not be an upgrade in my opinion. I might consider leaving out the mid control and using a set resistor, but going all the way to a single tone knob is something I don't think I would like in the end.

I can't say how it would sound with only the 1st and 3rd stages (setup like the drawings). I guess you would leave out everything after the bright switch to the input of the 3rd stage. I have never played a second stage setup like that so I don't have a clue.