Replacing Trannies in Ceriatone Liverpool

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

korngold

Replacing Trannies in Ceriatone Liverpool

Post by korngold »

Hi All,

I scored a Liverpool (or Liverpull, as Nik calls it) from Ceriatone last week. It sounds great, but it's a slight bit harsh. I happen to have a new power and vintage spec output (dual tap) set of trannies from Moose. Would it make a huge difference to swap out the transformers, and if so, would that be a fairly easy mod? My amp has the PPIMV and half-power mods, if that makes a difference in opinion.

Also, if I open it up, is there anything else that is essential to mod? I've heard that I should replace the jacks with switchcraft. If I do that, which ones do I need? 1 switched (stereo) and 2 mono?

Thanks for your help!
paulster

Re: Replacing Trannies in Ceriatone Liverpool

Post by paulster »

I found a big difference going from Moose's original to vintage trannies in my Liverpool so I'm sure the difference between Nik's and the vintage Toneslut ones would be even bigger.

It's a bit of a PITA to swap one out but since I've already done the same thing on my Express (changing to Pacific iron) it wasn't nearly so bad the next time.

PPIMV/half-power options won't make any difference to the relative difference in sound between the trannies.

As regards the jacks, I presume Nik is using Cliff jacks, in which case I'd be inclined to leave them unless you're specifically looking for vintage correctness. I use Cliff jacks in all my builds regardless because I prefer them.
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Measure B+. If it's in the right range ~300V, there's probably no great reason to swap the PT. ymmv.

You need two Switchcraft type 11 mono jacks for the outputs and shorting mono type 12A for the input. I always put a 250 to 500 ohm resistor across the outputs for protection. 5W or 10W.
Last edited by jaysg on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulster

Post by paulster »

I should have mentioned that I was referring only the OT.

I don't think changing the PT will make much difference unless your voltages are off, so I'd weigh up the effort involved if your voltages are currently in the correct ballpark.
korngold

Post by korngold »

Thanks for the responses so far, guys. Say I already have a Heyboer OT & PT. Should I just swap them both, or will the PT really make no difference? The less effort the better, but I'd kinda like matching iron in the amp, especially if it will make a difference.
Structo

Post by Structo »

Like Paulster said, measure your B+ on the tranny or at the power tube plates to see where you are at.
If it is in the ballpark of what is posted here among the clone builders, I don't think it would be worth the trade, on the PT.

The OT is a different matter and they can greatly influence the tone.

You also may want to experiment with the brightness cap or other tone modding tweaks to get your amp in your own sweet spot.

I don't know your experience level or how knowledgeable you are so here is the disclaimer.
If you don't know how to safely discharge filter caps or know safe working practices around high voltages, please either educate yourself before diving in or have a qualified tech do the mods for you. :wink:
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I would leave the Ceriatone amp alone and use the new Heyboer tranny set to build a Express or Rocket.

Mark
korngold

Post by korngold »

M Fowler wrote:I would leave the Ceriatone amp alone and use the new Heyboer tranny set to build a Express or Rocket.
Hi Mark,

I have an Express "rebuild" in process using another set of Heyboer trannies. So, this set of transformers for the LP is actually an "extra" set (with LP specific OT).

Before I do the PT, I'll check the B+ voltage, and I appreciate the disclaimer. I have done a lot of guitar rebuilds, but this will be my first amp maintenance/repair venture. I will discharge the caps and check them just to verify. Plus, I'm having a friend who has built an 18-watter help me with the transformer replacement.

Thanks for your help, everyone. Hopefully, I can get to this over the weekend!
Structo

Post by Structo »

Cool!

Keep your powder dry and one hand in your pocket. :wink:
Tom

M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Does anyone know if those Ceriatone caps are very good and how the hell does one know in the first place. I mean low ESR and all that jazz without asking Nik directly.

Maybe since your changing out the tranny set change out the filter caps as well?

Mark
Structo

Post by Structo »

Well, they are the Holy Grail after all.

What could be better than that!

I wonder who makes them for him?
Tom

jaysg

Post by jaysg »

I heard that they are repackaged Nichicons. That said, to what spec, right? There's no reason that any cap manufacturer cannot make a great cap for any of our somewhat unique needs (kind of hi-fi, but not too hi-fi). The Goldilocks quotient is always subject to opinion.

You might pm Glen K. Iirc, he has what started as a Ceriatone Express and he spent a lot of time tweaking it.