Any one been inside a Komet 19 yet?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

dorrisant

Re: Any one been inside a Komet 19 yet?

Post by dorrisant »

M Fowler wrote:There have been some that delved into this amp but I'm not so sure it would be worth cloning.

Mark
Can I ask why?
"Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned" - Enzo
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I don't think it sounds great enough to go through all the trouble of cloning.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I got a great deal on a Komet 19. Wasn't expecting to, just saw a "no reserve/free shipping" auction on eBay and ended up winning. Hopefully it's here after my vacation to Estes Park, CA. Happy 4th, tube heads!
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
guitarpkr76

Post by guitarpkr76 »

xtian wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:15 pm I got a great deal on a Komet 19. Wasn't expecting to, just saw a "no reserve/free shipping" auction on eBay and ended up winning. Hopefully it's here after my vacation to Estes Park, CA. Happy 4th, tube heads!
Congrats! Any plans to reverse engineer it?
xtian

Post by xtian »

guitarpkr76 wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:05 pm
xtian wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:15 pm I got a great deal on a Komet 19. Wasn't expecting to, just saw a "no reserve/free shipping" auction on eBay and ended up winning. Hopefully it's here after my vacation to Estes Park, CA. Happy 4th, tube heads!
Congrats! Any plans to reverse engineer it?
We’ll see! Should arrive tomorrow.
xtian

Post by xtian »

I still have not received the amp--it got all the way to my local post office, then was rejected for "address does not exist." Seller will have to ship it out again. :shock:
guitarpkr76

Post by guitarpkr76 »

That stinks. Hopefully you get it soon.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Whelp, I got scammed. I mean, product never arrived, seller dis-a-vanished from eBay, eBay issued me a full refund. Was, indeed, too good to be true.
guitarpkr76

Post by guitarpkr76 »

Sorry to hear that.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'm seeing a lot of 'too good to be true' scams on ebay and noticing a lot of them are from ebay sellers that have zero feedback. I put them in my watch list and its only a matter of time after the auction end that the auction page returns 'we can't find that one anywhere'.
Mark

Post by Mark »

wsaraceni wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:20 am
VacuumVoodoo wrote:
wsaraceni wrote:why is that?
Just curious of their mindset. That's all.
my take:
most builders can put their amps out there, and maybe some people will pick up a few ideas on how to mod their amp this way or that way, maybe someone will get an idea about lead dress, and in general a lot of homebrew type folks will beneft.

i think komet suffers more from the pics of their amps on the net for two reasons. first, they are associated with trainwreck. which in itself opened them up to this forum and the large group of people that clone all things known to be associated with ken. second, a while back, hogy and others on the forum got into a tiff over some stuff when the original k60 pics, layout, and schematics came out here and some parts being sold. because of that, instead of just a few homebrews popping up, some "komet" 60 and concorde clones ended up being sold. so now, people, instead of maybe buying a new komet, or even a used komet, bought an "ampgarage" komet. these are people that probably wouldnt have built one themselves and were possibly potential customers.

they did some things in the k19 to minimize the impact of how much reverse engineering could be done from a photo only on the early batches, but even they know, as soon as someone gets their hands on it, it's all over. so the longer they can keep their design hidden from the masses, the longer they can make a profit on the amps.

i've had a few good discussions with mike over at komet, and i think hogy knows tone and has an ear for a good amp better than most out there, so i want to see them succeed. and i want them to continue to come out with new and interesting models. sure, they may have a supro this combined to an 18 watt that and through a vox this, but in the end, the amp is a komet 19. and there had to be some work involved with picking those parts and tuning them.

i come to this webpage and am interested in this thread because eventually id like to get to the point to where id be comfortable building my own amp. i want to get to the point where i can borrow things from other amps but end up with something of my own. thats the benefit of these forums to me. that stuff gets clouded when others try to sell current production amps by undercutting the price. its unfortunate that it comes to that.
I have been on this forum for the whole of its existence. Hogy had been acting like a dick in the early days when people would ask questions about shielded cable in Express amps and other construction details. Hogy should have said nothing, but he derived great pleasure in saying either warmer or colder.

When the pics of the Komet happened it was a kick in the nuts to Hogy. People thought he had it coming after his remarks. In fairness, Hogy has been a straight shooter since.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

Mark wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:54 am
wsaraceni wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:20 am
VacuumVoodoo wrote: Just curious of their mindset. That's all.
my take:
most builders can put their amps out there, and maybe some people will pick up a few ideas on how to mod their amp this way or that way, maybe someone will get an idea about lead dress, and in general a lot of homebrew type folks will beneft.

i think komet suffers more from the pics of their amps on the net for two reasons. first, they are associated with trainwreck. which in itself opened them up to this forum and the large group of people that clone all things known to be associated with ken. second, a while back, hogy and others on the forum got into a tiff over some stuff when the original k60 pics, layout, and schematics came out here and some parts being sold. because of that, instead of just a few homebrews popping up, some "komet" 60 and concorde clones ended up being sold. so now, people, instead of maybe buying a new komet, or even a used komet, bought an "ampgarage" komet. these are people that probably wouldnt have built one themselves and were possibly potential customers.

they did some things in the k19 to minimize the impact of how much reverse engineering could be done from a photo only on the early batches, but even they know, as soon as someone gets their hands on it, it's all over. so the longer they can keep their design hidden from the masses, the longer they can make a profit on the amps.

i've had a few good discussions with mike over at komet, and i think hogy knows tone and has an ear for a good amp better than most out there, so i want to see them succeed. and i want them to continue to come out with new and interesting models. sure, they may have a supro this combined to an 18 watt that and through a vox this, but in the end, the amp is a komet 19. and there had to be some work involved with picking those parts and tuning them.

i come to this webpage and am interested in this thread because eventually id like to get to the point to where id be comfortable building my own amp. i want to get to the point where i can borrow things from other amps but end up with something of my own. thats the benefit of these forums to me. that stuff gets clouded when others try to sell current production amps by undercutting the price. its unfortunate that it comes to that.
I have been on this forum for the whole of its existence. Hogy had been acting like a dick in the early days when people would ask questions about shielded cable in Express amps and other construction details. Hogy should have said nothing, but he derived great pleasure in saying either warmer or colder.

When the pics of the Komet happened it was a kick in the nuts to Hogy. People thought he had it coming after his remarks. In fairness, Hogy has been a straight shooter since.

bump an old post I dont even remember making. hahah. all in all, in the end, it seems komet is doing fine. they have lots of different models out now