Any one been inside a Komet 19 yet?

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

wsaraceni

Re: Any one been inside a Komet 19 yet?

Post by wsaraceni »

the komet 19 is a great amp. wish i never sold mine
dbeeman

Post by dbeeman »

wsaraceni wrote:the komet 19 is a great amp. wish i never sold mine
me too, then maybe we would get some pics ;)
Last edited by dbeeman on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dB
paulster

Post by paulster »

There was a pic posted at TGP the other day. Point-to-point wired using PVCs (presumably) with the tubes and filter caps laid out to keep the wiring runs really short.
dbeeman

Post by dbeeman »

I think they take those off of TGP as soon as they show up, at Hogy's request
dB
mlp-mx6

Post by mlp-mx6 »

Caught it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wife: How many amps do you need?
Me: Just one more...
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Thanks its been a long time acoming :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

dbeeman wrote:
haha. i have plenty of gut shots. i take them of all my amps. but unfortunately for you guys, i wont post em. haha. mine looked pretty much like the pic posted here.
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

mlp-mx6 wrote:Caught it.
Wonder why they don't want gut photos to float around....
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

why is that?
VacuumVoodoo

Post by VacuumVoodoo »

wsaraceni wrote:why is that?
Just curious of their mindset. That's all.
Aleksander Niemand
------------------------
Life's a party but you get invited only once...
affiliation:TUBEWONDER AMPS
Zagray!-review
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I think keeping the gut shots off the internet protects the competitive edge for the builder (to some limited extent). Now, we (AmpGarage) are a very small subset of the population in that we build our own amps and most here will not pay retail for an amp when an equivalent can be built for a fraction of the price and twice the quality.

But as for "keeping secrets", the most extreme example of this is that HAD "gooped" up his preamp boards to hide the identity of the individual part values. I would just wipe off the lettering with acetone :lol: if it was a big deal. Also, I think the idea is more to keep parasites and bottom feeders from springing up to steal another's work. Many individual boutique builders and small companies spend a great deal of time and effort trying to identify parts that make a difference sonically and to create unique tones and they deserve compensation for their time. Even though we all here traffic in schematics, gut shots, and have PM exchanges of secret information, out of respect for the builder do not post them publicly at least until the amp is out of production. At least that's my understanding of the unwritten "gentlemen's agreement".
Bob Simpson

Post by Bob Simpson »

wsaraceni wrote:
dbeeman wrote:
haha. i have plenty of gut shots. i take them of all my amps. but unfortunately for you guys, i wont post em. haha. mine looked pretty much like the pic posted here.
You forgot to say "Fuck you all"... HTH...

Bob
Please understand that IMO an answer to this question is of no practical relevance at all. - Max
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I'm surprized Hogy hasn't come out with the DLM by now!

Or the Songwriter 30 which seems to me is a Constellation.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

VacuumVoodoo wrote:
wsaraceni wrote:why is that?
Just curious of their mindset. That's all.
my take:
most builders can put their amps out there, and maybe some people will pick up a few ideas on how to mod their amp this way or that way, maybe someone will get an idea about lead dress, and in general a lot of homebrew type folks will beneft.

i think komet suffers more from the pics of their amps on the net for two reasons. first, they are associated with trainwreck. which in itself opened them up to this forum and the large group of people that clone all things known to be associated with ken. second, a while back, hogy and others on the forum got into a tiff over some stuff when the original k60 pics, layout, and schematics came out here and some parts being sold. because of that, instead of just a few homebrews popping up, some "komet" 60 and concorde clones ended up being sold. so now, people, instead of maybe buying a new komet, or even a used komet, bought an "ampgarage" komet. these are people that probably wouldnt have built one themselves and were possibly potential customers.

they did some things in the k19 to minimize the impact of how much reverse engineering could be done from a photo only on the early batches, but even they know, as soon as someone gets their hands on it, it's all over. so the longer they can keep their design hidden from the masses, the longer they can make a profit on the amps.

i've had a few good discussions with mike over at komet, and i think hogy knows tone and has an ear for a good amp better than most out there, so i want to see them succeed. and i want them to continue to come out with new and interesting models. sure, they may have a supro this combined to an 18 watt that and through a vox this, but in the end, the amp is a komet 19. and there had to be some work involved with picking those parts and tuning them.

i come to this webpage and am interested in this thread because eventually id like to get to the point to where id be comfortable building my own amp. i want to get to the point where i can borrow things from other amps but end up with something of my own. thats the benefit of these forums to me. that stuff gets clouded when others try to sell current production amps by undercutting the price. its unfortunate that it comes to that.
wsaraceni

Post by wsaraceni »

Bob Simpson wrote:
wsaraceni wrote:
dbeeman wrote: me too, then maybe we would get some pics ;)
You forgot to say "Fuck you all"... HTH...

Bob
that would be rude :D