Express and Liverpool Kits

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

loverocker

Re: Express and Liverpool Kits

Post by loverocker »

I don't know what milspec soldering is, but would genuinely like to find out, to see examples, and to try to understand what the technique might bring to the amp-making party. I am an old dog, but I'm always looking to learn new tricks :)

FWIW, my guide (so far) in soldering has simply been what I've seen in production amps that have survived the last 30-40 years. Sometimes you can find some pretty ugly-looking joints if you look up close. Stuff like joints where the solder doesn't complete surround the component lead, or where the solder's sunken into the turret hole a bit more than others. But most of the time - even with imperfect crowns on turrets - the joint has survived and works perfectly.

So let's cut the flaming and start the edjumacating... :D
in the wilds of Borneo, and the vineyards of Bordeaux, Eskimo, Arapaho, move their bodies to and fro...
Bear

Post by Bear »

R.G. Keen is now a columnist for that attrocious "Musician's Hotline" thing, which is a total coup for them. His latest column was on "mil spec" actually being a strict specification, down to stuff like how the wires are stripped and how many degrees a lead is allowed to wrap around a post. Some of this analness is very likely of no added value to an amp buyer, though some of the detail you have a good idea will lead to better mechanical construction and electrical connections. I'd file it under "Good, Fast, Cheap: pick any two."

Bear
fzfwyv

Post by fzfwyv »

Zippy wrote: Rich, you could be more wrong about me but you'd have to try really hard.

Go away? Thanks, but this is a public forum and I won't go away just because you have some flawed concept that everybody has to be so politically correct that we cannot have an opinion that contrasts yours. That just isn't healthy.

Maybe "MilSpec" is an ugly word to you. If so, I apologize (again) for not knowing that would set you off. The military is where I learned to solder and much more. The Vietnam Era GI Bill helped pay my way through college.

I hope you feel better soon.

Like somebody else said, "Peace".
Feel just fine Zippy, at ease Private.

-Rich
Dai H.

Post by Dai H. »

RockinLocken

Mil spec heck

Post by RockinLocken »

Thanks DH. I love bathroom material. Very good stuff in there. We do that rocket stuff at work all day. The bottom line is "If it ain't pretty, it ain't bought".
I think the 10$ off is funny, with alot practice I get the time down to what that cost is. Nik's stuff is all layed out very well (IMO). But with every solderjoint I feel this stupid thing coming alive. And when you fire it up! Holy cow! Can't be beat. Thank for all your help guys on the education.

T-bone Len.
Normster

Post by Normster »

Wow, what an education that is!!! Thanks a million for posting the link. :D
Dai H.

Post by Dai H. »

no problem guys, just passing it on though... :wink:

there are a bunch more to check out here if interested:

http://www.firebottle.com/fireforum/fir ... garm&mode=

toilet university... commode college? lol