Express Hammond Iron

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

funkmeblue

Re: Express Hammond Iron

Post by funkmeblue »

the "old" wreck schematics always said go with the 1650-h, I agree the transformers available through pacific and heyboer are the way to go....but if you can get a great deal on hammonds......I think the 1650-g would be the better choice....I mean, how good a deal you talking about? One could build a great amp with hammonds, hell, hammond could of built some of ken's tranny's.
anything worth doing, is worth doing right
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I've used Hammonds as well with no problems but for the Trainwrecks I followed the advice of the builders on this forum with great results.

Mark
paulster

Post by paulster »

Let's look at it this way.

We know that the transformer makes a huge difference in the tone and feel of an Express. We know, for instance, that just the change in steel between M27 in the earlier Toneslut transformers to the M19/26 used in the later ones had an impact on sound that improved it.

We know for certain that Ken used Heyboer and Pacific transformers, Pacific being quite a mainstay. Pacific have always had the recipe for theirs and Moose now has the correct recipe for the Heyboers, so these are the real deal transformers.

Anything else is just a broad substitute, that will work from an electrical perspective but isn't likely to sound like a wreck. Take Nik's Ceriatone transformers, for example (sorry Nik). They make for a comparatively loud and brash-sounding Express because they've been engineered from broad specifications and don't have the advantage of knowing the correct steel grade (possibly corrected now), the interleaving patterns, etc.

I can only imagine the Hammond recommendation came from the old, unverified schematics and it was the closest thing to a wreck transformer they'd found off the shelf since the primary impedance is so far from your typical 50W Marshall OT.
Bear

Post by Bear »

If I were to build a TW with Hammond iron, I would suspect I would be better off doing a Rocket. It's a less finicky design and Hammond's hi-fi tendencies might map well to aspects of the iron Ken used.
paulster

Post by paulster »

I think that might work well. One of the big differences between a Rocket and the AC30 it was based on is the bandwidth of the OT, which is much greater in the Rocket.
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

M Fowler wrote:I would bite the bullet and build that Express with Pacific OT and your choice of PT. Or just get the whole Pacific set.

Its hard to beat rjguitars, toneslut (moose) or Allynmey tranny set prices and they are correct for the application intended a TW Express.

OK now I'm done, sorry. :)
Thanks for your good words Mark... Thus far, the EDCORs have worked out great for the Rocket builds. For the Express amp, these are great transformers and the specs are right. However, I suggest them for the experimenter and not as a drop in clone replacement for the original. I have an Express in the works using them and will report what I learn. At a minimum I expect it will require some efforts at voicing it.

Does anybody know if there is any record of the different transformers that Ken Fischer used in his amps? In addition to Stancor, Heyboer, Mercury Magnetics, and Pacific, I am aware of at least one custom winder that supplied transformers to him. It would be a curious thing to see how he voiced the various amps with differing transformers.

thanks,

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I would think he started out using whatever Vox's transformers were first and went from there but who really knows? Perhaps some Fender gave up its iron.
paulster

Post by paulster »

I'm not aware of him ever using Mercury Magnetics whatsoever, but I'm sure it's not harmed their sales of Express-type iron.

Stancor, Pacific and Heyboer are definites though.
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

I think he mentioned like 12 manufactures he tried in dave hunters book, he said it's not that big of deal, i'ts everything in the circuit, not just one thing, he could take any output transformer and make a good sounding amp.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Speaking of Dave Hunter which book or where can I get info on his Two Stroke amp build?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

OK I found a new fangled option called Google and used it :) , sorry about the previous request guys. I would rather just have the data than the book. :oops:
funkmeblue

Post by funkmeblue »

it's very similiar to angela's super single ended project in there how to section
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

funkmeblue,

Thanks I do have Angela's layout and have now collected enough data to consider making this single ended little amp two stroke for fun.

Mark
RJ Guitars

Post by RJ Guitars »

paulster wrote:I'm not aware of him ever using Mercury Magnetics whatsoever, but I'm sure it's not harmed their sales of Express-type iron.

Stancor, Pacific and Heyboer are definites though.
I mentioned MM because of a conversation I had with guy named Patrick over there. I hooked up with Patrick when I was trying to run down the info on the Rocket transformer set. He said they had a nice file of Trainwreck info including a couple line cards, but they were not willing to release any info to the public out of respect to Ken Fischer and his family. One of the coolest things Patrick told me was a story of how Ken had a tendency to use any transformer he had his hands on and make it sound great... including one that he had taken out of an old TV set. So there was apparently some history there but I couldn't begin to tell you where or if there is a Wreck with an MM tranny in it.

rj
Good, Fast, or Cheap -- Pick two...

http://www.rjguitars.net
http://www.rjaudioresearch.com/
http://diyguitaramps.prophpbb.com/
Buschman

Post by Buschman »

I built an Express with the correct reverse engineered tranny's. I built a Liverpool with ebay junk. I don't know what OT I am using I just know it pushed 4 el84s somewhere else. The Liverpool is sweeter and maybe a tad louder. :shock: Go figure. I tend to like el84s. Guess it depends on what you are going to do with the amp.
I've got blisters on my fingers!