Multi Caps in Express Clone

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

bluesfreak

Multi Caps in Express Clone

Post by bluesfreak »

Hi all,

I am planning of building a Express Clone with Ceriatone parts (PCB and chassis) and a set of JTM-45 Trannies I have available (Shinrock).
Looking at the BOM I see the 3x3 stack of HV Caps for the B+ which somehow causes a bad impression to me (think vibrations, hard handling on the road).
Do you think that it is possible to replace the 3x 40µF / 3x 20µF stack with 2 JJ Multicaps I have, they are 40+20+20+20, and which I could use.
Any objections in this case? Recommended or not?
I'll appreciate your advise..

bluesfreak 8)
No tube, no sound...
soma_hero

Re: Multi Caps in Express Clone

Post by soma_hero »

I wouldn't worry about the issues you raised. These amps are tried and true. The cap stacks are fine if you secure them right.

That said, my Liverpool used a JJ 50/50 and 40/20/20/20. My Rocket uses the same. Work great!
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

There is nothing wrong with building the Express your way using multi section cap cans or cap board either. Also nothing wrong with tightly twisting your filament wires either. :)
Richie

Post by Richie »

Dana and i use the multi caps when doing a VVR wreck.. very quiet and work fine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
andrew

Post by andrew »

I had a question about grounding can caps in a build and I came across this thread which brought up another question: what are the film caps across the grid resistors for? Thanks.
Richie

Post by Richie »

The grounds on the caps on that amp were separated between the 2 cap cans to different locations before the bottom was put on.
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

andrew wrote: Fri May 23, 2014 10:08 pm I had a question about grounding can caps in a build and I came across this thread which brought up another question: what are the film caps across the grid resistors for? Thanks.
I could be wrong but I think they're to stop scratchy volume control issues when adding a VVR. I think they're basically blocking DC.

M
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

Marcus a cap would have to be in series to block DC. Andrew, can you point to the resistors with caps across them that you are referring to?
norburybrook

Post by norburybrook »

martin manning wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:51 am Marcus a cap would have to be in series to block DC. Andrew, can you point to the resistors with caps across them that you are referring to?
Ha, I was wrong then :D

I seemed to remember when I Put a VVR in my Rocket I had to put some extra cap(s) in to stop the DC on the volume control, thought he might be referring to that.

MC
Mark

Post by Mark »

I seemed to remember when I Put a VVR in my Rocket I had to put some extra cap(s) in to stop the DC on the volume control, thought he might be referring to that.
Was DC voltage on the amps volume control or the guitars volume control.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott