Express vs. Concorde

Express, Liverpool, Rocket, Dirty Little Monster, etc.

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Lousyatit

Express vs. Concorde

Post by Lousyatit »

Would it be possible for some of you to compare and contrast the Express with the Concorde? Is the Concorde the next step in the evolution of the Express?
Lousyatit

Re: Express vs. Concorde

Post by Lousyatit »

Somebody...110 views and no one has an opinion?
skyboltone

Post by skyboltone »

I know somebody with a Concorde and somebody with an express. I don't know anybody with both. The guy with the concorde also has a mid run real plexi. He runs both amps through very early Marshall 1960s with original greenbacks. He's got some dough. He runs them stereo. He says the Concorde is the most perfect EL-34 tone imaginable. I don't think he has played an express. I would love to build a Concorde. I think a couple of guys here have. It was Ken's last thinking but he never built one himself. That's part of the mystique you know. Only Ken could build one.

If you can find a botique dealer in your area go play the Komet and you tell US what you think. I've never even SEEN one in the flesh.

The express is a super simple circuit that takes elaborate care to position wires and components correctly. When you do it right it's an extraordinary instrument. Do it carelessly and it's useless for anything other than holding newspapers from blowing off in the wind.

I think there's no response here because the question is harder than you know. I hope I've helped. Start with an express, get it right then sell it and go for the Concorde.

Dan
The Last of the World's Great Human Beings
Seek immediate medical attention if you suddenly go either deaf or blind.
If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in five years time there would be a shortage of sand.
tubedogsmith

Post by tubedogsmith »

The Concorde is a lot louder and the distortion is more "modern" sounding I guess you'd call it. The Express has that high mid peak in the tone that sort of dominates it's sound. The concorde not so much. I love the concorde but find the express less demanding and a bit easier to play and work with.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I would talk with Allynmey he is an expert on both amps and surely could help you with this comparison.

I built Express amps and the K60 and the K60 is a more useable amp for my gigging purposes if that helps.

Mark
Ron Worley

Post by Ron Worley »

Allyn Meyers can give you every detail you need on the differences, he has built many, many of each..
Ron
martins3325

Post by martins3325 »

Im sure there are more amp builder types who can chime in but from more a players perspective...Ive had a zillion amps in my life..even a Copper Panel AC30 KF had tweaked..and at one time a KF50LTD --Concorde in a Bubinga cab--, a K60, a Constellation, and currently an el84 Komet prototype cover in '63 Ford TBird vinyl. Ive only heard a real wreck in person, plus Glens clips, and have a clone I built which probably isnt anywhere near as good as Glen's. I would say the KF50LTD --Concorde-- was like a really good Vintage Marshall with plenty of gain on tap....which is nice, as in my experience Marshalls can be very hit or miss. But also bear in mind 99% of every great Rock and Roll guitar tone you ever heard was comming from a Marshall Vox or Fender ...so dont discount a good one of those! Anyway...I think the Express...as epitomized by Glen's tone is a little different breed from the Concorde, or other amps...with a strong Mid focus and this wonderful chirp to the treble, and sustain on demand. Loud but not the peel the paint off the ceiling volume or kick you in the chest bass that a concorde would have. Of the Komets ive had I think the Constellation responded most like a Wreck... great amp!..but I found it VERY cabinet sensitive due to the lack of tone control..so it could sound shrill with some cabinet/guitar combos. And el84s have a bit different distortion texture. Tone is VERY subjective..so its a matter of what you like...I would suggest checking out youtube clips of the Concorde --theres a couple good clips-- and compare that to Glens clips of his real one...and maybe clips of some clones. $$ value aside id take the tone of Glen's Wreck gets over a Concorde any day...and twice on sunday..but thats just me. Everyone has a perfect tone in their minds eye..and his is pretty much it for me.
Lousyatit

Post by Lousyatit »

Gentlemen, thank you for your input.
pacebass

allyn meyers

Post by pacebass »

How would I go about finding a website or contact for Allyn Meyers. I'm looking into buying one of his trainwreck rocket clones, but I can't find out how to get in touch with him, or where I could buy one.
Zippy

Re: allyn meyers

Post by Zippy »

pacebass wrote:How would I go about finding a website or contact for Allyn Meyers. I'm looking into buying one of his trainwreck rocket clones, but I can't find out how to get in touch with him, or where I could buy one.
He was on the forum yesterday.

Look for "Allynmey" and send him a PM or e-mail.
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

His parts website is ampbuildersparts.com

http://ampbuildersparts.com/store/index ... contact_us
gearhead

Post by gearhead »

tubedogsmith wrote:The Concorde is a lot louder and the distortion is more "modern" sounding I guess you'd call it. The Express has that high mid peak in the tone that sort of dominates it's sound. The concorde not so much. I love the concorde but find the express less demanding and a bit easier to play and work with.
I thought it was louder too, but Allyn says it has much more middle mids that give it an extra whomp you can feel. Perception thingie.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

I've built them both and I'd have to say the Concorde is just "more" in every sense of the word. It's louder, thicker, gainier, bassier and just has a weight that the Express doesn't. Better? That's a hard one, but if you think all these things matter, possibly.
Lousyatit

Post by Lousyatit »

I wound up buying one of Allyn's "Concorde" amps and I agree with Clyde's assessment, it is one thick sounding amp.
aaronz28

Post by aaronz28 »

i have both -
a KF50 with the Friedmann mod that I did,
and a JM build Trainwreck Express

they are different animals all together really -

the Komet is HUGE girth with a ton of bottom end.
the Wreck is much brighter, and smoother in the high gain dept and for me, noticeably clearer - i find the wreck harder to play - shows my sloppiness much more.

when I got my Wreck I sold the KF50 - thinking they were redundant - but quickly learned that there is something about the bottom end of the Komet that I missed in the wreck. the Wreck is clearer and cleans up much much nicer while retaining volume. So i bought the first KF-50 that popped back up... now i have both again and plan to keep it that way - for me they are the two end-all-be-all amps.

about the only thing that they share in my opinion is that they have the same tube compliment - otherwise they really sound nothing alike

cheers
Aaron
What?