Pre '60 style TV front AC4 build

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChopSauce

Re: Pre '60 style TV front AC4 clone

Post by ChopSauce »

ChopSauce wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:32 am Any advice against wiring Fenderish Hi/Lo inputs instead of the two parallel ones "à la" Vox :?:
Let's say nobody ... 8)
(that's stamped anyway)

One more question, if you don't mind - as I am stamping the faceplate:

- which fuse rating am I supposed to use?

The amp uses a 50VA PT so I guessed a (50 / 230 wall AC =) 220 mA, let's say 300 mA fuse should be fine, but maybe I'm forgetting something?

EDIT: not sure where that comes from but the rule seems to be twice that value. That would be 0.5A in this case, rather.
ChopSauce

Re: Pre '60 style TV front AC4 build

Post by ChopSauce »

My take on the chassis. Surprisingly, the metalic drawer "out off the trash", which I used to make a chassis was of the same 16 gauge steel as the original AC4 one. Non metric bits are not so common here.
DSC_5904.JPG
I could have mentionned that, being composed of almost essentially reclaimed materials, the outcome will be somewhat ratty/distressed/relic/whatever you call it.

Glued front face under press now ...

By chance, the cab (also made of reclaimed wood) was also candidate for distressing because I cracked the front face during the final assembly ... :roll:

I'm not very careful with this one ... :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ChopSauce on Sat May 09, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Adding this picture of the layout for future reference

It seems to me that the ground to earth/chassis connection is made on the back of the volume pot ... :|
(Thanks again Phil for pointing me to these isolated turrets)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

That baby
DSC_5930.jpg
DSC_5932.JPG
is almost ready, but the pair of 100R resistors for heater center tap that I have been waiting for more than two weeks now.

I won't say I'm 100% satisfied with the finish but at least the wood is protected.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

That looks great!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Man that looks super cool! I love the finish on the wood.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Thanks!

This one is a living room amp and guess what my spouse likes?

:lol:

Next time I'll try ebonizing, maybe... 8)
thetragichero

Post by thetragichero »

I've got a combo build in the queue and you're giving me ideas on construction that i hadn't thought of so besides the obligatory "good job" might i also add a "thank you!"
PRR wrote: Plotting loadlines is only for the truly desperate, or terminally bored.
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

My pleasure... :wink:
(would be complete with those f@#in' two 100R resistors... :lol: )
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Finally I had to admit that:
  • "my" resistors would never arrive, and order another pair
    (thanks to das Musikding for being able to ship individual components at the real cost)
  • the tube rectifier would never work without a pair of diodes, since the PT has no center tap
    (thanks to Franco "kagliostro" & Rob "RobRob" for the pictures)

So once the hybrid rectifier properly wired, that baby sang but ... its sound has rather little to do with the tiny ones from the videos I could watch.

It is rather plain. Maybe an effect of the Jensen Ceramic speaker?

Not so bad, but I still have to troubleshoot the tremolo, which does nothing at all ...
(but at leat that was one step in the good direction)
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

ChopSauce wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:17 pm The sound has rather little to do with the tiny ones from the videos I could watch.

It is rather plain. Maybe an effect of the Jensen Ceramic speaker?

Not so bad...
Maybe a Celestion G10 Alnico Gold to give the baby a proper set of lungs to scream with? 8)
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

Oh yes: a Celestion is very likely to end up into that cab but the vintage AC4 sported a 8" speaker (the pre-60 TV front one most likely sporting 6"5) and so does this one.

EDIT (all good:) changed the plate resistor for the tremolo V3a and now it works strong. The speaker begin more "thight" the tremolo appeals for lower depth, as reported elsewhere.

It is biased very hot too, very close to the limit, if not above. The russian mil. tube is supposed to handle this, though.

We'll see what the EF86 does, for the future ... :|
LuciMan

Post by LuciMan »

ChopSauce wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:17 pm......
  • the tube rectifier would never work without a pair of diodes, since the PT has no center tap
    (thanks to Franco "kagliostro" & Rob "RobRob" for the pictures)
I did the same 5 years ago with my tube-modded RM SuperTwin ( https://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=27719 ) because using a EZ80 my PT had no center tap too - an old trick I first used in the sixties. ;)

Cheers
Vox (DIY): AC3 TB SuperTwin; AC10; AC15; AC30/4; AC30/6 TB (rear); AC30/6 TB Reverb
Burns: 40th Anniversary Hank Marvin Signature, white / Double Six, redburst
Framus: Strato 5/154-54
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

So you were the one surrounded by clones? That was very well done... 8)

Yes, it actually took me several days to figure how what was happening with the rectifier not working...

... until I realized it was lacking some reference - seeing the above sketch of the "hybrid" rectifier... :wink:
ChopSauce

Tiny/bright 8" speaker?

Post by ChopSauce »

Made some more tweaking but still not 100% satisfied. I improved the grounding scheme (took power section ground out of the bus) with good result on the noise, but still I couldn't capture the tiny & bright sound I was after for this amp.

Afterwards - by some more analyse of the videos - I think that the 8" 8 Ohms Vox Bulldog designed for the Pathfinder is the main responsible for some AC4 clones that I hear sounding pretty close to the original.

In contrast, the Celestion eight 15 (I was planning to replace the "too tweedy" Jensen C8R with) is advertised as "sounding big" which is not so much what I am after (plus a sensitive speaker will increase the noisefloor).

Now my options are:

0. (but the Celstion eight, which remains my default option)

1. find a 8" 8 Ohms Vox Bulldog speaker, which seems unlikely in my country, or

2. use something else - maybe a wideband or hifi-alike speaker as an alternative.

I read on Thomann's comment section that some people erred at using (example given:) Visaton BG20 speakers for their guitar combos but I could find no more information about that.

I am very termpted to give it a try - because of Thomann liberal's return policy and because I am partial to neutral speakers - but I would appreciate to read some more about the subject, eventually... :?:

And, oh yes: it's all in the spirit of a cheap small pratice amp... :wink: