New Build Pics in Progress

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

passfan

New Build Pics in Progress

Post by passfan »

Here are some shots of a new 1-12 combo I'm putting together for my brother. He doesn't know about it at all. It's based on the old California Hiwatts from Sterling Imports. The best early 80's rock amp ever made and a sure one trick pony. It crunches like no other. He had a head style one years ago but it fell by the wayside and he's expressed interest in picking it up again. I can't wait to see his face, the little shit. :wink: I don't like the way the white cane grillcloth looks so I have some black coming.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
dreric

Re: New Build Pics in Progress

Post by dreric »

Nice work! You are a generous brother.

Eric
xtian

Post by xtian »

Nice! What's the power section? EL84s?
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

Wow, you're one helluva bro! I've called, texted and FB'd my kid brother and I can't get him to respond.

That the CS30? Whatever it is, it's looking great!!
passfan

Post by passfan »

Yes EL84's with 12ax7's and a 12at7 PI. It's loaded with a Vintage 30 to start and I'll see what it sounds like from there. He takes me to the local NFL games all the time for free so it comes around. It is the CS 30 , with some minor tweaks. It has the old style tone stack in it to start , the rest of the tweaks will come when I voice it.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

Yeah, a simple black grilleclothe would look suhweet on that build without being too busy or detracting from the lightly shaded tolex!

What kind of wait time did you have on the Edcors??
passfan

Post by passfan »

I got the edcors in a trade with another member for my 2-12 combo cabinet that was for sale recently. I'm pushing it a bit with some of the ratings but they should be fine... just a bit under. I don't know what I was thinking buying white.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

That is a nice build, he will be very happy.
David Root

Post by David Root »

Don't worry about pushing the Edcors, they can take it. At least the CXPP series can, not sure about the others but Edcor is a class act, so I would think so.
jjman

Post by jjman »

Have you verified that the parallel tranny placements are not going to induce hum? Some say that setup will although these are far apart. You could use the "headphone trick" to check.

Very clean. I have the Extra gum on my bench too.
If it says "Vintage" on it, -it isn't.
Structo

Post by Structo »

That's gonna be a sweet amp, all be it loud!

Love the Hiwatt build techniques and clean lines.

Nice cab as well.

You are a great bro! :D
Tom

Don't let that smoke out!
dynaman

Post by dynaman »

jjman wrote:Have you verified that the parallel tranny placements are not going to induce hum? Some say that setup will although these are far apart. You could use the "headphone trick" to check.

They're miles apart.
passfan

Post by passfan »

David Root wrote:Don't worry about pushing the Edcors, they can take it. At least the CXPP series can, not sure about the others but Edcor is a class act, so I would think so.
Worried more about under voltage and what I may have to do to compensate. Probably won't be a problem either.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
passfan

Post by passfan »

jjman wrote:Have you verified that the parallel tranny placements are not going to induce hum? Some say that setup will although these are far apart. You could use the "headphone trick" to check.

Shouldn't be a problem. I checked out numerous layouts from different hiwatts and it doesn't seem to matter.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump
passfan

Post by passfan »

I appreciate all the kind words. I realize that each and everyone of you are just as capable and more, I have seen it. As for being a great bro, I am building this for a great bro. I get to go to every Bucs home game he has tickets for, club deck / 50 yard line. When my team plays the Gators his wife has 4 season tickets and I get to go for free. ACC Championship Outback Bowl , club deck / 50 yard line. The Gatornationals , everything paid for, St Pete Grand Prix... the list goes on. I'm coming nowhere near paying him back, but at least I'm trying.
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump