gilmourish 50 ?

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lumox0013

great idea

Post by lumox0013 »

lefty that sounds like a great idea Im not that good with the design end of things though if some one would draw up a turret board layout I would love to try it !!!
Live , Love , Learn
LeftyStrat
Location: Marietta, SC, but my heart and two of my kids are in Seattle, WA

Re: gilmourish 50 ?

Post by LeftyStrat »

Bear wrote:Do you even need the CF if you wire the FB2/Showman pre right into the head, or has anyone tested and found it essential to the Gilmour thing?

(The cheapness of the Weber 6MX chassis has given me a bit of OCD: I keep trying to add to the list of projects I could do with just two noval sockets. Yes, just punch an extra hole, but, you know . . .)
Yes if you were to wire it into the head you could probably skip it. The CF was added after Gilmour fell in love with the sound, and was done just to drive longer cables.

There are applications where the CF matters, as per the discussion of the Bassman CF in Merlin's Preamp book.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
LeftyStrat

Re: great idea

Post by LeftyStrat »

lumox0013 wrote:lefty that sounds like a great idea Im not that good with the design end of things though if some one would draw up a turret board layout I would love to try it !!!
Gilmour made the switch around 1984. So if you want the Pink Floyd at Pompei sound, you want the stock Hiwatt.

Another option would be to build a stock Hiwatt, add a FX passive send and return, and build the FB2 as a separate pedal.

Another option I just remembered. Someone took the Marshall 18 watt and put a Hiwatt preamp on it. I've never heard one, but maybe someone on here has tried it. Might be a way to get the Hiwatt vibe without having to peel paint off the walls.
lumox0013

dont fear the volume embrace it

Post by lumox0013 »

I will be building the 504 anyhow but I am always looking to simplify things I play with my old band from time to time and if I dont bring the heat they will bury me the other guitar player has a wall of sound my wreck cuts through but every thing else I take seems to cut in under him, and I love my pedal board thats the other reason I would like to try the hiwatt thanxx for all the ideas though always good to come at something a different way.
Live , Love , Learn
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Been looking at the iron choices...
going for 4 6V6(maybe switch for 2) with the option of running 2 EL34's
wondering if the Mag Comp 40-18094 PT along with their Marshall 50W OT
would get me in the ballpark? I'm thinking I could use the bias tap or not.
and the 200ma could run 2 or 4 6v6's or 2 el34's.
I know this is not classic Hiwatt iron.
The set would be much cheaper than most of the other single PT or OT's
Comments are appreciated
Darin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

IME--i'd go with Heyboer Partridge clone iron---available from VHR or Mojotone (120V primary PT only)---I built a couple of Hiwatt clones with non-standard iron and they sounded ok---but they didn't sound like real Hiwatts.
If you're building a Hiwatt, I think it's best to start with the right iron.
I like Magnetic Components iron----- but not for Hiwatts......................gldtp99
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

gldtp99 wrote:IME--i'd go with Heyboer Partridge clone iron---available from VHR or Mojotone (120V primary PT only)---I built a couple of Hiwatt clones with non-standard iron and they sounded ok---but they didn't sound like real Hiwatts.
If you're building a Hiwatt, I think it's best to start with the right iron.
I like Magnetic Components iron----- but not for Hiwatts......................gldtp99
Thanks gldtp99
I may end up getting the Hiwatt 50watt OT from Mojo.
Thanks

Darin
Bear

Post by Bear »

If Magnetic Components did Partridge clone iron, I would be so fricking happy . . .
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

I don't expect Mag Comp will be bringing out Hiwatt iron----- I doubt that there are all that many units sold compared to Fender and Marshall replacements.
And Heyboer's Hiwatt units are already available and they've got the Hiwatt tone down cold---- I'm very happy with the Heyboer Hiwatt type transformers I've used in several Hiwatt type builds--- I've got another 50 watt set sitting here ready to go after I get a few Fender type builds finished...........................gldtp99

Here's a vid of my friend playing one of my DR504 clones (with Heyboer iron) in my shop----- he's using delay and distortion pedals------ no view of the amp but you can get an idea of the tone/headroom:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL9pWc57Q-M

He's playing through the white amp sitting on top of my '72 DR103 in this pic:
[IMG:800:600]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f112/ ... one001.jpg[/img]
dcribbs1412

Post by dcribbs1412 »

Really nice clip.
thanks for posting.
going with the Heyboer Hiwatt type transformer

Darin
LeftyStrat

Post by LeftyStrat »

Sounds fantastic.
BIG Dave

Post by BIG Dave »

LeftyStrat wrote: That's a drop in the bucket:

http://ken-gilbert.com/the-big-ass-guitar-amplifier

One thing to consider if you are going for a more modern Gilmour tone is that he uses a modified Alembic FB2 preamp to drive the power stages of his Hiwatts.

The FB2 was based on one channel of a Fender Dual Showman. Pretty much AB763. .
This reminds me, I have a Stancor PS-8415 I was going to use to build an F2B preamp. I need to get on that!
BIG Dave: '63 Princeton, '67 SFDR, '68 Marshall 4x12, '71 Marshall JMP50, etc...