My first new build AC15

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

plook

My first new build AC15

Post by plook »

Just thought i'd share some pictures of my new build AC15. It's the first time i've made a Vox. It's sort of an experiment to use NOS parts, many resistors used are drifted values, as in, the values they read are higher than what the colour bands show, but what they read matches the circuit requirements. I am not sure if others do this or if it's a mistake. I am expecting it to be noisy given the NOS parts, so i've made up other boards of new components to drop in if the noise is too bad. Generally i can live with noise or hiss, it's all good to my ears as i like a loud crunchy-sparkley tone, i just can't live with any cap or ground hum.

The eagle-eyed will notice i have resistors in series to get the 7watt wirewound values of 22K and 130R. they are coming out as i have ordered the right ones and so those plastic tie wraps will come out, which i was starting to imagine being responsible for burning down the amp in the future.

One of the reasons why i want to share this is because i have a dilemma about the voltage selector. Originally i was thinking of adding it to make the amp look near right. Then i thought i didn't want little fingers putting spikes down the holes and getting zapped/killed and i thought that maybe i could use that big cutout holes as a place to put an MV or VVR. Any opinions on this. I was settled on the VVR until a friend said it would look crap. The VVR would be more useful to me. I wonder if there is a way of adding VVR to a push-pull pot. Maybe lose the switch and put it there like i've done on other amps.

The Orange Drop in one picture was replaced as later i decided to put caps in parallel to reach the values i needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Turret

Re: My first new build AC15

Post by Turret »

Looks hard on :)

Who's layout are you using?
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I like the NOS caps, etc. nice.
plook

Post by plook »

Thanks. I'm using the fantastic Stephen Grosvenor, service manual

http://www.thevoxac30guide.com/

It's not a build guide but has schematics and layouts
gz34

Post by gz34 »

looks good. is that a chassis from Steve on the bay?
plook

Post by plook »

Yes it is. It's perfect.
gz34

Post by gz34 »

i'm ordering one for an AC30, the chassis is the last item to get. your build looks good.
plook

Post by plook »

You will be happy with the chassis and faceplate, they are fantastic and great value. Mine is almost finished.
gz34

Post by gz34 »

be interesting to see it complete, good luck.
plook

Post by plook »

This is it close to finish, just some power supply hookup left then check over every connection before switching in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
plook

Post by plook »

Finished except for final error checking. Will leave that for fresh eyes.
Turbojunkie

Post by Turbojunkie »

Nice work, looks great! I gotta check out that book...being an amp building noob who's just learning, Vox's frighten me! :shock:

I'm impressed!

TurboJunkie
First 25 years of playing, I never got along with EL84's...Now I think, WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH ME????
plook

Post by plook »

Well, I have yet to turn it on, so I may regret taking it on. I can say I have found the book invaluable. If it works I'd be happy to share whatever I know and where to source parts. I've made many amps, complex ones like Dumble clones, but the Vox has been the most interesting. Personally I've not found it easy to gather much information about parts. I should post a BOM here to make it easier for others. I have yet to make the 1-12 cabinet. That's the bit I enjoy least. The cabs are expensive to make if you want the original look.

Get the book here:
http://www.thevoxac30guide.com/

get the chassis and faceplate here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Replacement-J ... 3cd6ca393b

Get the tag strips i used here: RS Stock No. 433-703
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/barrier-s ... 4E4F4E4526

Ask Steve - the chassis guy about transformers

or Michael at Modulus Amplification
http://modulusamplification.com/

Ask about any other parts. Unfortunately i have not managed to source correct versions of the pilot lamp, voltage selector (i've used a big Bulgin fuse holder there instead) or switch, but i've used other acceptable parts.
Last edited by plook on Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
plook

Post by plook »

GZ34, it will be good to see your build here as i intend to go on and make an AC30, after an AC4!
gz34

Post by gz34 »

plook, in the middle of a build at the min, then i'm doing a jtm45, the AC30 will be after that. let us know how the 15 sounds.