VOX AC15 [JMI] Replica Layout and schematic

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Turret

Re: VOX AC15 [JMI] Replica Layout and schematic

Post by Turret »

@10thTx - thank you, next time I'll think twice before I go online with data that I was doing number of weeks, asking lot of questions to a lot of people. Your EXELENT pdf have nothing common with replica layout I did. Respect!

@Sin1949 - and the question is?

To all - I was hoping for little more feedback, to be honest

:oops:
Facebook Page with my amp plans
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

@10thTx - thank you, next time I'll think twice before I go online with data that I was doing number of weeks, asking lot of questions to a lot of people. Your EXELENT pdf have nothing common with replica layout I did. Respect!
I don't know how about you guys, but for me factory VOX schematics are unreadable. Messy and hard to understand, so I decided to redraw it to something more "user friendly
I can not tell if your comment was a statement that you would have preferred that I had not posted the link to Sluckey's schematic and layout?

IF so, please accept my apology.

I was hoping that the information might be useful to you on your quest? Just let me know if you'd like the link deleted and I will be happy to do that. I was trying to be helpful to you and other TAG members.

With respect, 10thtx
Sin1949

Post by Sin1949 »

Hi Torg
You did amazing job with your layout. This is a real vintage Vox AC 15 that so many people are looking after. Great work and thank you for sharing with us

Regards
Sin
Turret

Post by Turret »

Matt D helped me to located error in brilliance switch wiring. I'll try to fix it soon
jezzbo

Post by jezzbo »

Thanks Torg! Very nice.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Hi torg. Very nice work indeed. Would you please verify a few component values?

C21... Your schematic shows 10nF but layout shows 100nF.

C42... Your schematic shows 47nF. Other schematics show 33nF. One even shows 5nF! I'm really interested to know the correct value for this one.

R22... Your schematic shows 150Ω. Other schematics show 130Ω.

THX... Steve
Matt D

Post by Matt D »

Here are some photos of how the brilliance switch and channel II volume are wired on the amp I have access to. Also a very crude drawing showing the wiring of the switch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt D

Post by Matt D »

Steve, Cap 21 on my amp is 100 nf.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt D

Post by Matt D »

Here is the picture of the .047 uf cap 42 on my amp. It is exactly like caps 32a and 32b. This cap type doesn't appear in Jim Elyea's Vox book so maybe it is a replacement.
Matt D

Post by Matt D »

R22 is 130R on my amp.
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

Thanks Matt. Your effort is much appreciated. Take care...

Steve
Masco

Post by Masco »

Matt, that Brilliant switch in photo isn't wired correctly. The whole shunt/cap/switch is in series w/ signal before the volume pot. The switch is not grounded.
Turret

Post by Turret »

sluckey wrote:Hi torg. Very nice work indeed. Would you please verify a few component values?

C21... Your schematic shows 10nF but layout shows 100nF.
Typo, my fault, I'm sorry
sluckey wrote:C42... Your schematic shows 47nF. Other schematics show 33nF. One even shows 5nF! I'm really interested to know the correct value for this one.
That's tough one. Matt's colleague amp shows 47nF, but doesn't look to original to me. I have a picture of VOX AC15 I received from Steve (@ valvepower.co.uk - the chassis guy). This picture comes from VOX collector from London, and it clearly shows 33nF in there. I also have some service notes from Masco, and 33nF is there as well. To be honest I was sure I will find 5nF (4n7) in AC15, ask Matt, I was surprised that I didn't. In the newest revision of my plans it's 33nF from now on, but it can be either 47nF
sluckey wrote:R22... Your schematic shows 150Ω. Other schematics show 130Ω.

THX... Steve
Corrected

Thanks for taking the time to spot it, new layout and schematic will be added as soon as I fix the Brilliance SW issue
Turret

Post by Turret »

Matt, as Masco's says - I just can't see it to work like this. The cap can't be grounded. I can't made it out from your plans as well Masco.
Turret

Post by Turret »

Macso, I will email you what I think it might be, if you'll find the time to correct me, please do :)