Classic-Tone Transformers fo AC30

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jeshin

Classic-Tone Transformers fo AC30

Post by jeshin »

Hi guys I was wondering what people's opinion on these were I here that Mercury makes the closest to vintage specs but at half the price I'm wondering if the classic tone are any good? Heyboer ones in my hayseed have extended highs and lows imo compared to vintage amps.
lord preset

Re: Classic-Tone Transformers fo AC30

Post by lord preset »

Does your Hayseed have the 2011 mods? If not you should do that before spending $$ on new iron
jeshin

Post by jeshin »

It does, I was just gonna start a build for myself.
Roe

Post by Roe »

I like the classictone ac30 OT. sounds good to me.
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
lord preset

Post by lord preset »

I have also heard good things about the Hammond AC30 PT. I actually prefer my Hayseed 30 with the Heyboers to any AC30 I have played but I get what you are saying about the extended frequency response (which I like). Rob attempted to tweak the circuit to make the Heyboer sound like the Mercury Woden clone. He succeeded in fattening up things a bit but the highs and lows are still there. I suppose if you want to make a dead nuts AC30 clone the Mercury OT may best single way to get there but there is no reason not to save some $$ on the PT from Classictone, Heyboer etc.
jeshin

Post by jeshin »

lord preset wrote:I have also heard good things about the Hammond AC30 PT. I actually prefer my Hayseed 30 with the Heyboers to any AC30 I have played but I get what you are saying about the extended frequency response (which I like). Rob attempted to tweak the circuit to make the Heyboer sound like the Mercury Woden clone. He succeeded in fattening up things a bit but the highs and lows are still there. I suppose if you want to make a dead nuts AC30 clone the Mercury OT may best single way to get there but there is no reason not to save some $$ on the PT from Classictone, Heyboer etc.
Yup, exactly my experience I dont dislike the amp in fact I put it on the level of matchless/Bad Cat amps i've played but like I said have that "modern" sound to it haha. I just dont see why Mercury has to be double the price of everyone else, the Classictone seem close to original woden spec but I cant find any spec for the MM nor the heyboer.
lord preset

Post by lord preset »

jeshin wrote:I just dont see why Mercury has to be double the price of everyone else, the Classictone seem close to original woden spec but I cant find any spec for the MM nor the heyboer.
Heyboer and MM will give you specs if you call them. MM is that expensive because that is their business model. They spend a zillion times more money on advertising than anyone else and promote their wares with breathless hype a la Monster Cable. But their products are reportedly good and if you a builder their OEM prices are supposedly much more reasonable. Builders get the benefit of all that advertising as Mercury is the only brand most end users have heard of and since the retail prices are crazy high customers they think they are getting extra special expensive transformers in their amp. Works for everyone unless you are a non-commercial DIYer, in which case you generally go elsewhere.
Clyde

Post by Clyde »

2 years ago or so we did a blind test comparing 4 AC30 OPT's. I clipped them in and out and a friend played while another listened. We used 2 MM's, an Edcor and a Mojo. After several rounds of going back and forth to familiarize ourselves with the tone, everyone picked the MM's as the best-sounding. I doubt YMMV.
Turbojunkie

Post by Turbojunkie »

I contacted Classic Tone a while ago about which brand their AC30 OT's were based on, they claimed Haddon.
First 25 years of playing, I never got along with EL84's...Now I think, WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH ME????
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Limited experience, but I have installed the MM Woden into a CC amp. If you can get it at the 25+ pricing, it's the way to go. I was surprised and the customer is still pleased.
Turbojunkie

Post by Turbojunkie »

The MM Woden is what's in my Rocket now, it's a really good sounding OT...I think Weber might have a decent price on them...well, decent for MM's usual retail pricing.
First 25 years of playing, I never got along with EL84's...Now I think, WHAT THE HELL WAS WRONG WITH ME????
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

If you call $200 plus reasonable.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Mercury Magnetics are also quite firm that their Haddon transformer is a great Vox output transformer.

So I don't think you can go wrong with either a Haddon or a Woden, if you are after Vox meets Marshall perhaps the Albion transformer is an option?
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Mark wrote:Mercury Magnetics are also quite firm that their Haddon transformer is a great Vox output transformer.

So I don't think you can go wrong with either a Haddon or a Woden, if you are after Vox meets Marshall perhaps the Albion transformer is an option?
Hi Mark,

Albion, Haddon, Woden. RS

I haven't got it straight anymore -- which OT goes with which artist? I'm thinking that AC-30 fanatics might know about the AC30's used by:
The Edge
Rory Gallagher
Brian May
Hank Marvin
Beatles on the Ed Sullivan Show
Richie Blackmore on cuts like Hush...don't remember whether Machine Head was AC-30 or Marshall

[edit]
I found conflicting opinions on the order of irons works. This one was from guys who said they owned these amps:
1959 prototypes and early production -- Radio Spares...same as the JTM45 OT and highly desireable
Parmeko -- 1960 OTs don't sound good enough...not highly desireable
Haddon -- 1960, 61, early 62
Woden -- 1962, to '67 (?)
Haddon -- 1964 -- one batch
Albion -- starting 1964 or 65 with some built with one of each brand, Albion OTs the brightest/jingliest, til '67

Additionally, in 1963, the cathode resistor value was reduced from 82 ohms to 47 ohms...Mullard EL-84s were cheap. Power increased from 22 to 25W up to 30 to 35W.
Last edited by jaysg on Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 7 times in total.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

How many ordinary guitar players actually need MM, Woden or Haddon transformers?

Sure if your have perfect hearing, a golden eared star guitarist, or just a snob you would certainly pay for high dollar transformers.

But for the everyday guitar player I associate with with no money in their pockets and certainly not paying me much I use Magnetic Component transformers, Heyboer and a few other lower priced good sounding transformers.

Life is too short for all this internet bullshit of which component is the best. :)

Mark