Vox / Korg AC4hw1 hum problem - lay out needed

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

LuciMan

Re: Vox / Korg AC4hw1 hum problem - lay out needed

Post by LuciMan »

Luuc wrote:....
My problem is, against other opinions, that a SE can be silent as well, hum free. Especially a smaller amp for studio / home use. That is what I am pursuing.
That's not your problem but a legitimate claim because it can be certainly done as I found out (again) after my SuperTwin conversion. And this little amp's components are much closer to each other.
But ... as the others pointed out: to begin with the filament (if AC) should be drilled.

Cheers
Vox (DIY): AC3 TB SuperTwin; AC10; AC15; AC30/4; AC30/6 TB (rear); AC30/6 TB Reverb
Burns: 40th Anniversary Hank Marvin Signature, white / Double Six, redburst
Framus: Strato 5/154-54
Luuc

Post by Luuc »

On the matter of semantics I could not agree less; it is not a problem; to be more specific: I choose to mod this little amp to get rid of the hum; therefore I asked if anyone had schematics.
This question has not been answered yet, other than w. very kind words of advice. Suggestions all over the place. I thank u for these! Still no schematics.

This post is close for now, while if I get rid of the hum, not turning the amp in a kind of super choked/ flattened HiFi thing, I will post the m.o. gladly.

I will not repeat a kinda same answer over and over again, hope y'all will get this. Let's Rock and have a good day. :idea:
LuciMan

Post by LuciMan »

(Waarom wachten tot je een schema heeft? Het is gemakkelijk om het te tekenen door jezelf, zelfs als je niet een tech bent. ;) )

Why waiting till you'll get a schematic (maybe in years)? It's easy to draw it by yourself even if you're not a tech.
Then you have a basis to take action in the right direction - step by step. Here it's quite easy because it's no pcb but hand-wired!
Vox (DIY): AC3 TB SuperTwin; AC10; AC15; AC30/4; AC30/6 TB (rear); AC30/6 TB Reverb
Burns: 40th Anniversary Hank Marvin Signature, white / Double Six, redburst
Framus: Strato 5/154-54
LOUDthud

Post by LOUDthud »

FIrst things first. You said the controls did not affect the hum. Correct? If so, filament wiring won't change much of anything.

When you turn the amp on do you get hum immediately, or do the tubes have to warm up before you hear the hum?

When you turn the amp off, does the hum stop immediately or does it fade out as the tubes cool down?
peckjed

Post by peckjed »

Did you ever get this sorted out?
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

It's often better to start a new thread than hoping to revive one from potentially no longer active members.

I think this is the second one you've referred to on this topic with the older thread.

Maybe open a new thread and refer back to these threads with a link to any known schematics?

I think Single Ended amps tend to have more hum than push pull, and as I've seen Vox do in the recent past, they tend to buy overly cheap stuff. Maybe just a better designed output transformer that hums less?

~Phil
tUber Nerd!