delete

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

andyfromdenver

delete

Post by andyfromdenver »

Last edited by andyfromdenver on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reeltarded

Re: delete

Post by Reeltarded »

You are asking about transitional from the 30/4 to the 30/6 with an 86 just previous to the CF but after an ax7 stage?

Not that I know of, and my buddy owns one of the transitional amps. They left the 86 all alone and went crazy trying to make the amp sound like that input. Not with lots of success lol
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
andyfromdenver

Post by andyfromdenver »

Last edited by andyfromdenver on Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LuciMan

Re: ef86 to topboost (vox values) fly too close to the sun?

Post by LuciMan »

andyfromdenver wrote:..... designs that employ the ef86 prior to the cathode follower top boost. usually just a triode.
Anyone employed this pathway with awesome results? ....
Two days ago I just did this with my Super Twin Conversion. Sounds very nice! :)

I hope this is what you're looking for.

Cheers
Claus
Vox (DIY): AC3 TB SuperTwin; AC10; AC15; AC30/4; AC30/6 TB (rear); AC30/6 TB Reverb
Burns: 40th Anniversary Hank Marvin Signature, white / Double Six, redburst
Framus: Strato 5/154-54
andyfromdenver

Post by andyfromdenver »

rooster

Post by rooster »

I have an AC30 build that has the TB channel, the Normal channel and the EF86 channel. I somewhat understand your thinking that the EF86 channel could be boosted, but I think it works fine in the trad way.

To clear up what you are describing, you want to use a trad V2 and V3 found in the TB channel, but feed this with an EF86.

I do have a friend who has built such a channel into his AC30 type amp. Here's what I can report: He loves the gain and overdrive of the channel, but it is noisy. Currently he is tweeting things, been working on it intermittantly for a few months, trying to quiet things down. He may get there, I don't know. I have not played it.
Most people stall out when fixing a mistake that they've made. Why?
LuciMan

Post by LuciMan »

andyfromdenver wrote:Claus,
what a cute lil amp you made :-)
I see towards the end you changed the pre to ef86, and not sure if you added a cathode follower or kept the tone stack as posted in your schematic.

Thank you for the kind words! :)

To make things more clear: yes - I kept the tone stack (top boost circuit) as it was. I just changed from a two-channel Input (Normal & Brilliance via ECC83) to a one-channel input using the EF86 in front of the TB.

rooster wrote:I have an AC30 build that has the TB channel, the Normal channel and the EF86 channel. ........ I do have a friend who has built such a channel into his AC30 type amp. Here's what I can report: He loves the gain and overdrive of the channel, but it is noisy.

I did this version too (w/o VIB/TREM) - see Surrounde by clones ....

It isn't noisy! ;)

Cheers
Claus
Vox (DIY): AC3 TB SuperTwin; AC10; AC15; AC30/4; AC30/6 TB (rear); AC30/6 TB Reverb
Burns: 40th Anniversary Hank Marvin Signature, white / Double Six, redburst
Framus: Strato 5/154-54
andyfromdenver

Post by andyfromdenver »