1977 Hiwatt

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

lpd

1977 Hiwatt

Post by lpd »

I picked up a 77 DR-505 today. Hasn't been used since 80s. Caps are still forming it's got some noise on volume pot and master and volume drops at times. Going to clean pots first. It says Quantum Leap on the inside of the chassis. Any ideas what this means? Also says Harry Joyce Canada with felt over it and Bob Dickson as well in felt.
Stevem

Re: 1977 Hiwatt

Post by Stevem »

A volume drop without a bunch of cracking from a amp that has been sitting a long time many times is corroded or dirty pins on the PI tube.
I have many filters I have taken out of even earlier Highwatts and the darn things still work fine and test out great for ESR, it's crazy!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
lpd

Post by lpd »

I was suprised I even got noise out of it. Apparently it was put in a storage locker in 83' and stayed there until yesterday. Outputs were good testing GE 6CA7 tubes. Fairly clean condition. Missing the impedance selector knob thingy and the back cover (may have to construct one of those). The good part was he gave it to me for $250 Canadian :)
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

A great price!

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
xtian

Post by xtian »

Holy poop. I just saw new Harry Joyce amps in Premier Guitar. New 100 watt model: $4600 retail.

http://harryjoyceusa.com/amplifiers/
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
lpd

Post by lpd »

Holy crap this amp screams. It needs some work as all of the pots have scratchy noise on them but plugged into the brilliant channel full preamp it roars like a beast feedback a like a train wreck as both channels are connected. Any ideas where I can get a light for it?
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

I forget, is it powered off the AC mains, or the heater string?

lpd

Post by lpd »

Stevem wrote:I forget, is it powered off the AC mains, or the heater string?
Light works but the red plastic cover is broken. I'm not sure if they can be seperated.
lpd

Post by lpd »

It's an ac neon enclosed in the red plastic cover which alas is broken. The resistor inside is poking out the broken side and is shorting out the amp popping the fuse. I shrink tubed it for now until I source a replacement.
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

Tubesandmore carrys two different a Marshall type lamps that will work, one is for 120 volt, and the other 6 , so it will need a serie resistor.

passfan

Post by passfan »

Cool amp , lucky dog. How's the Asteroid ?
"It Happens"
Forrest Gump