Vox AC50 build

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoeCon

At it again

Post by JoeCon »

So with warmer weather hitting I was able to get back to the basement this week and continue on with the AC50 build.

The circuit boards fit and the front panel and pots etc are also fitted.
Been so long I gotta go over the design again and see if I got it right...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
In theory, theory is the same as practice. In practice it's different.
JoeCon

More work

Post by JoeCon »

So as I continue to work towards my title of "Worlds Slowest Vox Amp Builder" I did actually get something done on my VOX AC50.

Like the power supply / bias supply board.
And the input / tone / PI board. Looks over populated as it has two AC30 (TW Rocket) tone circuits. One for the Bright channel and one for the Normal. They then sum ala Marshall. Should get this together shortly ( heard that before?) and see how it works.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JoeCon

Re: Vox AC50 build

Post by JoeCon »

OK got the power supply done, bias supply done, Tone board in and wired.
Just the output left to go...yes!!
joeboo88

Post by joeboo88 »

Good to here from you again Joe.
Keeping going! The amp is looking good.
joe
Matt D

Post by Matt D »

I'm late to the party on this one but if you check the schematic for this amp note that even though it calls for a 12AU7/ECC82 in V1, the side of the dual triode used for the Brilliant channel appears to be configured for an ECC83/12AX7 (100K plate resistor, 1.5K on the cathode). I heard an original AC50 MKIII with a JJ ECC832 in V1 and it the Brilliant channel sounded much improved. Also, the hybrid-biasing is interesting with the 47R resistors on the cathode in addition to the fixed-bias supply. This one is definitely on my list of amps to build!