ac30 build started

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JoshBernstein

ac30 build started

Post by JoshBernstein »

Hello all,
I have started my ac30 build, and I'm super excited!!!!!!!
Here's a pic of what I've got so far:
Thanks to Doug Hoffman for the board, i really like the layout...
Caps are a bit of a mish-mash because i felt like experimenting :wink: - .047s are iIllinois, .022s are mojo vitamin t, and the .1s are cde orange drops. For the pf range I've got ceramic disks right now, but i plan to swap them with silver micas to see if i can actually hear a difference.For resistors I've got a mix of xicons and kamayas.
Still waiting on a hand full of parts, including all of the offboard ones.
Have to save up for a chassis and a ot, as i don't make very much money (I'm a 17 year old who makes minimum wage)
I plan on putting it in an 18 watt chassis and drilling a couple of extra tube socket holes.
I also just wanted to thank all the members of TAG, for helping me to get to this point. Also a shout out to Stevem for helping me out on basically all of my threads and answering most of my questions.
Well there it is, please let me know if you see anything grossly wrong, and ill post a schematic and layout in a couple minutes.
thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not really
JoshBernstein

Re: ac30 build started

Post by JoshBernstein »

Schem and layout:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not really
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

And sorry about the blurry pic, It's about the best i can do with my cell phone.
Not really
jaysg

Post by jaysg »

Bit of a tangent, but what iron are you using and an aluminum 18 watt chassis may need some reinforcing.

[edit] look at how thick the chassis is. I have an Allyn generic chassis I used for a similar amp and it's fine. I was in the original 18W group and those chassis weren't as thick...fine for small iron, but an AC30 is like a typical 50W Marshall in terms of how heavy the transformers are and how substantial the chassis should be. I can't point you at just the right thing, but I hope that helps.
Last edited by jaysg on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoshBernstein

Post by JoshBernstein »

I was gonna go with a classictone ac30 pt and have been going back and forth between a couple of ot's. Any recommendations for either the pt or ot?
Do you have any recommendations for a different chassis or a way to reinforce the 18 water? Im looking to fit it in a 24" head cab so it it will be the same width as my speaker cab.
Not really