Lar/Mar PPIMV in Vox AC type amp?

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

psychepool

Lar/Mar PPIMV in Vox AC type amp?

Post by psychepool »

I'm trying to make an AC15/30 based amplifier.
I'm worried about the master volume type, which is probably going to be produced as a non-master volume type in the end,
but I'm thinking about what type to apply if I apply it.

The volume of the Vox type master volume increases rapidly from zero.
In other words, the control at the lower volume is difficult, so I want to avoid it.

The preamp master volume like JCM800 seems to be useless so I am worried about PPIMV for more distortion.
Personally, Lar / Mar PPIMV seems to have a good sense of operation, so maybe I will choose it.

However, I have rarely seen Lar / Mar PPIMV being used in making Vox AC type clones.
Most of the Vox AC type circuits have Vox master volumes, but I do not see any particular advantages except that they are simple to build.
Are there any special problems in applying the Lar / Mar PPIMV to the Vox type circuit?
I ask this question because I think there's a reason that rarely find PPIMV in Vox type amps.

Additional Question :

I am currently considering whether to make AC15 or 30
If I have enough headroom already, I do not want to make it big and heavily.
I would like to make AC15 if the AC15's clean headroom is loud enough.

The output transformer of the Vox type is much larger than other amplifiers of the same wattage.
So I know that it has a much larger output than other amplifiers of the same wattage.
I wonder if the output of the AC15 corresponds to a few watts of other tube amps.
Roe

Re: Lar/Mar PPIMV in Vox AC type amp?

Post by Roe »

The larmar works great in my ac30. It works better in ac30s than in plexi due to the former's lack of negative feedback.
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
martin manning

Post by martin manning »

TW Rocket is a stripped-down AC-30. An example with PPIMV is here: http://ampgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 034&hilit=
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Not an AC30 but damn close my TW Rockets get PPIMV added with great results.

I now use a dual 250k Linear pot.

Mark
Lar-Mar_PPI-MV.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
psychepool

Post by psychepool »

Wow! Thank you very much for good references! I was thinking of making rocket reverb as a base. I'm thinking about making it 30 watts or 15 watts. If the transformer of AC15 series has enough headroom , then I'll make it with 15watt.

But if the larmar is better than Vox classic type MV, why every Vox type circuit apply Vox type MV? Is it because it is just a replica?