Hiwatt build voltage issues

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

playonit

Hiwatt build voltage issues

Post by playonit »

I just finished building a dr103 using the Schematic and layout for the early 70's circuit from the Hiwatt pages. after measuring my voltages I found the plate volts on V4 (12AT7) measured 480vdc? I have changed tubes re-flowed a few joints and retraced the circuit a few times with all checking out... I am at a loss here not being able to put my finger on the cause. I have included my voltage chart with my measured voltages in bold.. I am a lot perplexed at this point and feel the need to reach out to see if I am missing something? Thanks for looking..

http://hiwatt.org/Layouts/DR103hiwattlayout.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I brake for Lard......
xtian

Re: Hiwatt build voltage issues

Post by xtian »

Check the HT dropping resistor between the power tube screens node and the PI node, and check the PI plate resistors. Confirm the proper value in each case and proper connections.

Are you getting sound?
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
playonit

Post by playonit »

xtian wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:44 am Check the HT dropping resistor between the power tube screens node and the PI node, and check the PI plate resistors. Confirm the proper value in each case and proper connections.

Are you getting sound?
I am getting high voltage on both sides of the 91k and 82k plate resistors over 400vdc on both sides checked the values and they are within tolerance. Do you mean the power supply dropping resistor on the board? if so, one side measures over 400vdc and the other side about a 100 volt drop at about 326vdc.. and I am not getting any sound?
I brake for Lard......
xtian

Post by xtian »

playonit wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:09 amDo you mean the power supply dropping resistor on the board? if so, one side measures over 400vdc and the other side about a 100 volt drop at about 326vdc
Double check this. You're saying you read 326v at that node--doesn't this same node feed the PI plates? Not possible, since you see 400+v on your PI plates. Is this the issue? You're feeding current to your PI from the same node as the power tube screens?
playonit

Post by playonit »

xtian wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:27 am
playonit wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:09 amDo you mean the power supply dropping resistor on the board? if so, one side measures over 400vdc and the other side about a 100 volt drop at about 326vdc
Double check this. You're saying you read 326v at that node--doesn't this same node feed the PI plates? Not possible, since you see 400+v on your PI plates. Is this the issue? You're feeding current to your PI from the same node as the power tube screens?
I think I am confused here... I was talking about the 22k power supply dropping resistor that is mounted on the board... After reading your reply I wonder if you are talking about the 470r and the 1k 2w resistor that the screen/grid from the power tubes go to?? I really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I brake for Lard......
xtian

Post by xtian »

There’s too much hidden from view—I can’t see how things are connected. It looks like your HT secondary attaches directly to the cathodes of your rectifier diodes—why?

Show me the schematic you’re using and then we’ll talk. :)
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

It looks like your HT secondary attaches directly to the cathodes of your rectifier diodes—why?
It's a bridge. Look at the layout to see the jumpers to the other diodes.
xtian

Post by xtian »

OK, smartpants, then why has @playonit got 400+v on his PI plates? :)
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

My first guess would be wiring error. Plate voltage that high usually means the tube is not conducting but the cathode voltages indicate it is. That wiring diagram makes my eyes hurt. Rather see a schematic for troubleshooting.

FYI, I had the same thoughts about the HT wires and the diodes. Thought the diodes were backwards but I knew from the voltages he had that couldn't be. So, I looked at the layout, then I saw that it was a bridge.
playonit

Post by playonit »

Here are the Schematics and layout I worked from.. I have traced this circuit at least 4 times and all appears correct. At this point I have to believe it is possibly a bad component.. I have ordered a new 470r 100r resistor and will replace the 2w 1k as well... Is it possible for a resistor to test within tolerance and be bad.. tested those 3 resistors out of circuit and the test ok on my meter??
I brake for Lard......
Roe

Post by Roe »

you haven't swapped the screens and phase inverter supply- have you?
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

If he swapped supply's then his preamp voltages would also be high, is that the case?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
playonit

Post by playonit »

No they are not swapped... what would be good points to check voltages other than voltages at the pins and report those back? For example I get high voltage when I check each side of the 470r resistor that is from the screen/grid each side is 480vdc is that correct? Thanks for the help :D
I brake for Lard......
xtian

Post by xtian »

With amp off and caps discharged, please measure resistance from HT1 to HT3 as shown on power supply schematic.
playonit

Post by playonit »

xtian wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:51 pm With amp off and caps discharged, please measure resistance from HT1 to HT3 as shown on power supply schematic.
I read 1k from HT 1 to HT 3...... From HT1 to HT2 I read 569 ohm ... what should I be looking for ?
I brake for Lard......