Berkeley III repair board checks out

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

R.G.

Berkeley III repair board checks out

Post by R.G. »

I got back word from the first adopter of the Berkeley III repair PCB. It works.
Whew!! :lol:

The board fits the same mounting holes as the original, has the same circuit as the original [as far as I can tell - more on that below], includes the power supply and filters on the PCB, so the chassis caps can be left there are pretty bits of "originality", not hooked up, and ... it work!

The board hooks to the same pots, jacks, etc as the original, and in general just bolts in. The wires were re-routed to one side of the PCB, not all around it, so it can be flipped up to work on the bottom/solder side when/if service is needed.

So old Berk 3s can now be fixed without poring over the old PCB. Step 1 in the replacement process is "Clip off all the old wires at the controls, unscrew the original PCB and remove it. It is no longer needed."

Well, OK, you do have to solder all those new parts in the new PCB and wire it in, but hey, that's the fun part. :lol:
M Fowler

Re: Berkeley III repair board checks out

Post by M Fowler »

Glad it worked nice to see at least one saved from the electronic scrap pile.

I buttoned up my friends Vox Super Beetle and gave it back too many problems inside for me.

The other repair guys around me are my age and not interested in repairing the old Vox's based on my recent conversation, I'm sorry to report.

Mark
R.G.

Re: Berkeley III repair board checks out

Post by R.G. »

That is the exact situation I'm trying to stave off with these boards. The Thomas Vox amps are not mysterious or impossible to repair - they're just very, very demanding and a lot of work. People are not willing to expend the time and money.

In your friend's case, there is a repair board that replaces the entire preamp circuits board(s). If it's a Super Beatle, it's a V1141, and a single board replaces the three board set, bolts into the same place, and hooks up to the same pots, jacks, switches, etc. It also eliminates the rats next of wires, with all wires running directly from the PCB to the control, no 8-inch lateral runs through a 1" diameter bundle of wires. So it >>IS<< salvagable if you and your friend have enough left to populate a board and rewire. PM me if I can help.