Fave Tubes for Vox and Vox-ish

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

alathIN

Fave Tubes for Vox and Vox-ish

Post by alathIN »

Building a Trinity TC-15 kit - a head with two vox-voiced channels.

The kit isn't even here yet, so I'm shopping for tubes way before I need to.

Trinity's website says it's worth it to put a NOS tube in the EF86 channel, but they don't recommend a specific one. I've been looking at Amperex on eBay - wondering if anyone has experience with those or a different recommendation.

For the other tubes - 12ax7 x 3, EL84 x 2, and a 5AR4 - I'd like to be value-conscious and do the best I can without spending a fortune.
Up to now I have used JJ and EHX and found them to be fine.
But if there's a case where spending a little more would buy big improvements, I'd do that.

Also would appreciate any "Steer Clear!" advice if you've had a bad experience.

I like bright, but this amp will give me plenty of that without needing especially bright tubes.
I usually play clean or clean-on-the-edge - but if I can get to the edge without getting impossibly loud that's a plus.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Fave Tubes for Vox and Vox-ish

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I don't know how the trinity TC-15 is setup, but the danger with any EF86 is that they can be microphonic, some worse than others, so if you pay through the nose for a NOS one and it's microphonic, good luck to you :D

I've never bought NOS stuff myself but have bought a few pulls at hamfests. T hat worked for me quite well, and the first preamp tube (EF-86 for the normal channel and 12AX7 for the top boost or similar) is probably the first best investment in fancy tubes, then the output tubes. a well balanced PI is 'not' necessarily good for guitar amps, the imbalance creates some of the harmonics at drive that make it sound great, but if you want it super clean, then that is a better option as well.

Your personal tastes drive that part.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Oh and I didn't specify tube brands because I don't have enough experience doing tube rolling to say :D

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
alathIN

Post by alathIN »

Thanks for the tips!

There are some EF86 amperex that go around $25-30 so not the end of the world.
I am not really in the market for $80 and up NOS tubes, no matter how magic they are :wink:
Reeltarded

Post by Reeltarded »

I would think those Amperex didn't pass any tests at all. Those prices are selling a name.

Look for Mazda branded ef86s you might find a deal on what someone didn't recognize as a Blackburn manufactured Mullard. All the ones I have bought were stunning Mullards. Mmmm still going to cost you $60 or more.
Signatures have a 255 character limit that I could abuse, but I am not Cecil B. DeMille.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

Dr Z says save your money regarding NOS EF86 tubes because they are expensive and delicate tubes.

He uses Svetlana, Russian Wing C EF86 tubes. Available at The Tube Store . com for around $20 and hold up well.

I have been running this tube in my Dr Z Stangray for years without problems.

Mark
alathIN

Post by alathIN »

M Fowler wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:58 pm Dr Z says save your money regarding NOS EF86 tubes because they are expensive and delicate tubes.

He uses Svetlana, Russian Wing C EF86 tubes. Available at The Tube Store . com for around $20 and hold up well.

I have been running this tube in my Dr Z Stangray for years without problems.

Mark
I just ordered a pair of Wing C's off of eBay, direct from the Russian Mobsters who took over the ex-Soviet military base where they were stored.

Claims to have tested them, and does have a picture of a tube tester in the posting, so there's that.
About $19 for two of them including shipping.
If one of them works, it's break even.

PS, I have no idea what the gray market arrangements are in Russia that result in EF86 tubes selling on eBay. But I did a semester in Moscow back in the Soviet days, and I'm 100% certain that there are some nefarious characters involved.
deeder

Post by deeder »

To the OP:
You can alaways give a try to an E80F, it's not a direct replacement for an EF86 but the E80F (it's a professional tube) is way less microphonic with more consistent electrical specifications:
(Va = 250V, Vg2 = 100V, Vg1 = -2V) -> EF86 gives 1,35mA
(Va = 250V, Vg2 = 100V, Vg1 = -2V) -> E80F gives 3mA
E80F is pin compatible with EF86, has slightly less slope and g2g1 mu is 25 (EF86 is 38). This tube appears to be electrically similar to the 5879 too.
I run this tube in V1 with a vox-ish amp, according to my hears it is less dark than EF86, and way cheaper than NOS Z729.
2203/2204-ish/Deluxe Reverb