Vox trapezoid cab

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

gtomax

Vox trapezoid cab

Post by gtomax »

Anyone know someone who can build a Vox trapezoid head cab? I know North Coast does theirs but I'm looking to have an AC-10 SRT head trapezoid cab built.

Second prize for any cab plans that can be scaled down to fit the ac-10 reverb chassis.

I can finger joint etc but don't feel as good about the odd angles and would rather get someone better skilled to tackle it than try something un-finger jointed.

Thanks for any leads! I emailed Jeff Swanson but have yet to hear back. He's the best but my last cab took 6 months to deliver. Thanks all!
gtomax

Re: Vox trapezoid cab

Post by gtomax »

This site is the closest I've found to any "plans" http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/voxamp/voxcab.htm
TUBEDUDE

Post by TUBEDUDE »

You can make your finger joints "long" , adjust your angles as you glue and slide them together. After dry, hack off the excess fingers, fill and sand.
Tube junkie that aspires to become a tri-state bidirectional buss driver.
R.G.

Post by R.G. »

I like the long fingerjoints, cut them back approach.

I think that the hardest part of making one of these is getting a consistently rounded corner on the ends. Two of them have to be more acute than 90 degrees, two less than 90. The radius is large (for most woodwork) and very visible. Your ordinary garage-shop router with a rounding bit isn't going to do it. Custom tooling would be easy to make, but the step of making two different large-radius rounding bits and holding the cabinet while cutting the radii are daunting for a garage hacker. About the best I could come up with was to make two custom sanding blocks by splitting PVC pipe lengthwise into sections to make custom sanding blocks to keep the round consistent.

This is all near and dear to my heart as I'm in the thinking stages of constructing a 1/3 scale functioning model of a Beatle.

and remember kids, a monstrous mind is a toy forever.
gtomax

Post by gtomax »

To close the loop I ended up cutting miters in the side panels so the 20 degree angle would sit flat against the top and bottom panels. I used titebond 3 and brads to put everything together. Then there was the question of the radius of the corners. While I planned to use a palm router with angle jig I didn't trust it and ended up using my orbital sander and some 80 grit paper to hand shape each corner and edge using the gradual exposure of the ply as a straight edge guide of how much material I was removing.

It came out quite well and I'm now on to tolex after cutting the front vent slots and doing the grill insert.
Last edited by gtomax on Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gtomax

Post by gtomax »

gtomax

Post by gtomax »