VOX Reverb Transformer Information

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Saransk

VOX Reverb Transformer Information

Post by Saransk »

I'm in the process of "restoring" a 2nd Thomas Vox Berkeley III head using RG Keen's marvelous circuit board and information.
Had a dead reverb tank so the wiring to the tank and transformer were disconnected. (T3)

While I have the schematic and such, I don't have a real picture/diagram of which wires go where on the transformer.
I know the Red voltage goes to one winding which then goes to the driver transistor. The cable to the In of the tank connects to the other winding
Problem is - without any connections to the transformer I'm not sure which goes where. I temporarily connected the wires and got an unreal howling out of the system when the IN was connected.
I could have a bad transformer anyway - not sure if any replacement exists. But that's another issue.

If anyone could send me a photo or a diagram of the reverb transformer found in the Thomas Vox solid-state models (Cambridge reverb and Berkeley 2 & 3) it would be a great help.

Otherwise the unit works great
Thanks
Mike
Stevem

Re: VOX Reverb Transformer Information

Post by Stevem »

That howling is positive feedback.
Reverse the transformer wires and you should be golden!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!