Hiwatt DR504 chassis

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

kanderson70

Hiwatt DR504 chassis

Post by kanderson70 »

Where can I buy a chassis for a Hiwatt DR504 build? (Here in the CONUS)
I know I can get one from Modulus in the UK and Ceriatone, but I'm looking for something without the international shipping. Any one?
kanderson70

Re: Hiwatt DR504 chassis

Post by kanderson70 »

I found an old post from 2013 that Allynmey had some but that was years ago. :cry:
I also see Weber has a kit, but I don't want the whole kit, just the chassis.
I guess I'm hosed.
mrfreddieboy

Post by mrfreddieboy »

I really tried hard to find a DR103/504 chassis here in the U.S. but I had no luck. Sorry.

On the other hand, I did order a Modulus Amplification kit (which is top notch by the way) and even with the hefty shipping - nearly doubling the price of the chassis - when converted to $$ it is not that much more expensive than high end stuff sold here. Basically 45 ponds sterling + 45 shipping = 90 pounds sterling = about US$$ 120. I've seen chassis go for like $100 here in the US. So, your call, but I wouldn't balk on the shipping of their nice kit.

Also, Tube-Town in Germany (I think) has some Hiwatt chassis for sale, has slightly different cut-outs in the rear panel than Modulus, so nobody seems to make a replica Hylight era chassis really.

Good luck.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I think I got about the last Allymey DR103 chassis from a tag member years ago.

I have not seen any chassis from USA maybe Mark Huss knows.

Mark
kanderson70

Post by kanderson70 »

Thanks fellas. I did go out to the Tube Town website, but dealing with the same shipping costs. The Modulus stuff looks nice. Oh well. I'm in no hurry. Thought I'd check with the TAG community. Mark, I can't get the Private Messages to work, so maybe Mark Huss will chime in.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

kanderson70 wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:10 pm Thanks fellas. I did go out to the Tube Town website, but dealing with the same shipping costs. The Modulus stuff looks nice. Oh well. I'm in no hurry. Thought I'd check with the TAG community. Mark, I can't get the Private Messages to work, so maybe Mark Huss will chime in.
If it's any use, Mike from Modulus ships quickly and reasonably to the States. Yeah PM function is broken and Allyn, the site owner, will not empower Phil, our venerable moderator, to fix it. The site used to be much more active but has never been restored to its former glory, prior to that stupid Google blacklisting as well as the fact that we are probably the only ones left that care about tube amps. But i digress. Hope you can find a chassis.
M Fowler

Post by M Fowler »

I just bought 10 chassis from Mike at Modulus and I like the quality of his chassis and boards.

Heck many times I just can't find what I need or want in the USA and order where ever the product is.

I tried working with local business and they suck at building customer relations.

Mark
kanderson70

Post by kanderson70 »

Colossal wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:37 pm The site used to be much more active but has never been restored to its former glory, prior to that stupid Google blacklisting as well as the fact that we are probably the only ones left that care about tube amps. But i digress. Hope you can find a chassis.
What happened with Google blacklisting the site?

I guess I'll order from Modulus then. Those chassis do look like nice.
Yup, we're a dying breed.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

kanderson70 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:09 pm What happened with Google blacklisting the site?
I think it went something like the Garage got spammed, the spam sat and festered, a roving Google Bot sniffed the site as a potential malware source and added it the Almighty Blacklist. Browsers would start blocking the site, throwing up the potential malware flag, so many old and new members stayed away. This went on for probably six months, IIRC, doing a lot of damage. When the PM notification system was either turned off or broke, this killed the For Sale/Trade subforum and a lot of people that were offering boards, chassis, and good stuff for sale went away. Nobody could get notified, so buyers would think sellers were blowing them off and sellers would think nobody wanted their stuff. If you check the site, you see a little red (1) up top, notifying you of mail or being quoted. But between the blacklisting and PMs not working, the site slowed way down. It's improved though save the PM system getting fixed. That is beyond Moderator Phil's control though.
Good. Have fun!
kanderson70

Post by kanderson70 »

wow... that's a shame. So much good information and knowledgeable people here. Yeah the For Sale/Trade section sure would be busier with a way to communicate with each other (other than posts). Oh well I'm still learning new things, tips, and tricks from guys like you (btw...your builds are killer). Thanks for sharing the knowledge! (I'm just a hobbyist...everything I build is either for me or I do for friends).
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Colossal wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:00 pm
kanderson70 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:09 pm What happened with Google blacklisting the site?
I think it went something like the Garage got spammed, the spam sat and festered, a roving Google Bot sniffed the site as a potential malware source and added it the Almighty Blacklist. Browsers would start blocking the site, throwing up the potential malware flag, so many old and new members stayed away. This went on for probably six months, IIRC, doing a lot of damage. When the PM notification system was either turned off or broke, this killed the For Sale/Trade subforum and a lot of people that were offering boards, chassis, and good stuff for sale went away. Nobody could get notified, so buyers would think sellers were blowing them off and sellers would think nobody wanted their stuff. If you check the site, you see a little red (1) up top, notifying you of mail or being quoted. But between the blacklisting and PMs not working, the site slowed way down. It's improved though save the PM system getting fixed. That is beyond Moderator Phil's control though.
Good. Have fun!
Yeah that's it in a nutshell, I literally just found the references to the malware as a log file on the system that said "you have this malware" like from a scanner. Once i hid that directory as no longer readable by external sources, the problem disappeared. off the blacklist. and yes the problem with the site's PM's is that somewhere along the line with the blacklisting etc, the hosting provider basically blocks the ability for the app to send email in some ways. (Not all, I get administrator email, but that goes through a separate route). Basically to fix it I'd need control of the 'ampgarage.com' domain so I can setup a real mail server and let it allow outbound email to people.

Sadly I don't own the domain or the site, and I and others would be happy to take it over but Allyn owns it and doesn't seem interested in giving it up.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

kanderson70 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:41 pm wow... that's a shame. So much good information and knowledgeable people here. Yeah the For Sale/Trade section sure would be busier with a way to communicate with each other (other than posts). Oh well I'm still learning new things, tips, and tricks from guys like you (btw...your builds are killer). Thanks for sharing the knowledge! (I'm just a hobbyist...everything I build is either for me or I do for friends).
Yeah, it is a disappointment and a lot of guys moved on. There was a lot of healthy commerce. I used to offer relay board and power supplies for DIY channel switching and whatnot and it used to sustain itself. But demand fell sharply and it took me a year to liquidate my remaining inventory. It just didnt make sense to invest the capital for another run. Thanks for your kind words, I enjoy the process. There is a lot of good information here though and diligent searching will yield gold.
kanderson70 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:41 pm Yup,we're a dying breed.
We may be, but one thing's for certain, we will have the best tone on the way down.
Colossal

Post by Colossal »

I sure appreciate your efforts, Phil, pulling the site out of the dumpster.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

Colossal wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:52 pm I sure appreciate your efforts, Phil, pulling the site out of the dumpster.
Thanks!

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
kanderson70

Post by kanderson70 »

Echoing what Colossal said! Thanks Phil!