Hiwatt DR504 chassis

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Hiwatt DR504 chassis

Post by pompeiisneaks »

kanderson70 wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:32 pm Echoing what Colossal said! Thanks Phil!
Welcome :)

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
gldtp99

Post by gldtp99 »

I'm using the last AllynMay Hiwatt chassis (of two) that I bought years ago to build a DR103 right now.

Going to use it as a bass amp for the bass player in my new band project----- He's using my '75 Ampeg V4B head now thru a 1x15/4x10 stack.

The Ampeg works well but I don't have any back up tubes for some of the oddball ones it uses.

So I'm building my last DR103 clone using Heyboer Hiwatt Partridge clone iron from Mojotone, a turret board set I got from Watts many years ago, and an ex-Reeves head cab I got off the 'bay years ago. I'll put my own logo on it.

A friend "borrowed" another DR103 clone I built @15 years ago to use for bass for his Grindcore band and recording studio (he left me an early Mesa Dual Rec 100 watter in trade----- I don't know if this a permanent trade or not)----- we were using this older DR103 clone as a bass head in my shop and it performed well.

Here it is when it was first built:

Yes, Edcor iron used on this build (they've worked well for over 15 years)----- I've used Heyboer Partridge clone iron for all the Hiwatt clones I've done since then----- The Heyboer Partridge clone iron wasn't available when I built this one.

This older DR103 clone was built on an aluminum Hiwatt sized blank chassis I got on the 'bay from a guy in France who had built several chassis for himself and sold off the extra ones----- I still have one of these aluminum blank chassis left (probably will build a Hi Gain head with it soon).

I'm building out my stash of chassis, transformers, turret boards, head cabs, etc and making cool projects out of them.
kanderson70

Post by kanderson70 »

Nice looking DR103s! Got any gut shots?
mrfreddieboy

Post by mrfreddieboy »

Yes, gldtp99's hiwatt clones are really beautiful.
The 50 watter I am trying to build will already be too much amp but still excited to give it a go.
kanderson70

Post by kanderson70 »

mrfreddieboy wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:10 am Yes, gldtp99's hiwatt clones are really beautiful.
The 50 watter I am trying to build will already be too much amp but still excited to give it a go.
same. I will be installing a PPIMV on mine for sure. There's absolutely no place locally I can play it live without one.
Alnico

Post by Alnico »

Edited to add - I didn't realise this was my first post, so if it looks like I only registered to spam the forum, that isn't the case. Some of you might remember me from the Plexi Palace forum. I've been lurking a long time, but obviously hadn't posted anything here...

No good to the OP, since I'm in England, but I've just had some repro chassis made. I looked at the Modulus and Tube-Town ones, but wasn't happy with them being set up for 8mm pots and having all kinds of extra holes in the back. I also had mine made with the proper hole spacing on the front panel - the others seem to be rounded to metric measurements or just "off" altogether. :|

I'm building an Arbiter Power One Hundred, which was the main reason for getting this done.