Has anyone figured out the Vox AC4HW hum?

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Phil_S

Re: Has anyone figured out the Vox AC4HW hum?

Post by Phil_S »

I wonder if the group is barking up the wrong tree. Maybe there is some coupling of the unshielded tubes to the speaker. Maybe use tube shields or place a plate between the speaker and the tubes? Just a thought. I have no idea if it's a factor. It might easily be tested with a plate and some tape if there is adequate space. If using a ferrous metal plate, I' suggest you'd want to insulate it with something non-magnetic (felt, cork?) on the speaker side so it doesn't stick to the speaker.
xtian

Post by xtian »

Phil_S wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:24 pm I wonder if the group is barking up the wrong tree. Maybe there is some coupling of the unshielded tubes to the speaker. Maybe use tube shields or place a plate between the speaker and the tubes? Just a thought. I have no idea if it's a factor. It might easily be tested with a plate and some tape if there is adequate space. If using a ferrous metal plate, I' suggest you'd want to insulate it with something non-magnetic (felt, cork?) on the speaker side so it doesn't stick to the speaker.
That would be easy enough to test, by playing an external speaker.
I build and repair tube amps. http://amps.monkeymatic.com
Phil_S

Post by Phil_S »

D'oh! :oops:
peckjed

Post by peckjed »

xtian wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:58 pm
Phil_S wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:24 pm I wonder if the group is barking up the wrong tree. Maybe there is some coupling of the unshielded tubes to the speaker. Maybe use tube shields or place a plate between the speaker and the tubes? Just a thought. I have no idea if it's a factor. It might easily be tested with a plate and some tape if there is adequate space. If using a ferrous metal plate, I' suggest you'd want to insulate it with something non-magnetic (felt, cork?) on the speaker side so it doesn't stick to the speaker.
That would be easy enough to test, by playing an external speaker.
And external cabinet doesn’t change the hum (it appears in the external cab)