Vox/M@tchless-ish build

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

goldenGeek

Vox/M@tchless-ish build

Post by goldenGeek »

I just finished a build that has been in progress for some years. I'm in need of some cash to fix an 74 Les Paul Deluxe I just bought (in pretty bad shape). Anyway, I thought I'd share it with this board and hear what you think. It was originally a simple EF86 into a ECC83 PI and a couple of 6V6 powertubes. I wanted more gain on tap and decided to put in an extra ECC83. I ended up with the first half cold clipped (like Soldano/Mesa etc.) with a 39k cathode bypass and a 10k on the second half (like Marshall does). I think it sounds pretty awesome, it has that VOXy sound but with plenty more gain. It's a fun little bastard. i did all the text in Norwegian, but the controls are gain, a switch to fire up the two extra gainstages, a six postion tone control, a master volume and a filter. My playing is not all that good, it was done in a hurry but you'll get the idea of how it sounds. It was played through an old Mesa 1x12 (open back) with a rather new Celestion Vintage 30 speaker. I start with 4 gain settings on the "normal" channel, then the same 4 gain settings on the nasty channel.

BTW "Superlyd" means "super sound" :lol:

Fender HW1 Strat (with only a Seymour Duncan Custom in the bridge position): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ciTd6e ... p=sharing
Gibson SG 1967 (original PAFs): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Wt3yEW ... sp=sharing
Fender Strat 57 reissue (1994) (original single coils): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N8qEwT ... sp=sharing
front1.jpg
bak.jpg
inni.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colossal

Re: Vox/M@tchless-ish build

Post by Colossal »

Really cool builld! Sounds very good and I bet it is fun to play.
Roe

Post by Roe »

Ef86 gir vel mer enn nok vreng på egenhånd i en ac30/4 eller dc30!?
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
goldenGeek

Post by goldenGeek »

Roe wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:59 am Ef86 gir vel mer enn nok vreng på egenhånd i en ac30/4 eller dc30!?
Det blir vel aldri for mye vreng? :lol: Det handler kanskje like mye om karakter og hvordan den responderer. Om ikke noe annet så er det litt gøy :D

(translated)
There is no such thing as too much gain? :lol: I guess it's more about character and response actually. And for what it's worth, it's good fun :D
Mark

Post by Mark »

Good work. :D
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
pullshocks

Post by pullshocks »

Godt gjort.