I made Sluckey's AC30/4 lite!

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

jazrok

I made Sluckey's AC30/4 lite!

Post by jazrok »

Hey guys

Merry Xmas. I'm just following up as I actually made Sluckey's ac30/4 lite build. I'm thrilled with the way it sounds... however there are a couple of small issues.

1) It's a bit noisy. Once the rectifier warms up there's a noticeable 60hz hum. It's not a deal-breaker but it's more than I would have hoped.
2) The sweep of the volume pot is a little fast. I used an alpha 500k-a but all the magic happens between 0-9'o'clock. It'd be nice if the sweep was more gradual.

I changed the circuit slightly to a 82ohm bias resistor and a matchless-style 6-way tone/bass-cut.

As I say, it sounds magnificent asis but would be great to make it "perfect".

As you see, it's not as neat and beautiful as some builds I've seen but I think it's functional. If you see any glaring issues, please let me know.

Thanks again to Sluckey for the schematic/layout!

ChopSauce

Re: I made Sluckey's AC30/4 lite!

Post by ChopSauce »

Congrats!

I put the pic on the forum because it does not appear on my computer screen otherwise.
jazrok wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:01 am
50773403623_1f754a9c94_k.jpg
Have fun fine tuning it... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jazrok

Post by jazrok »

thanks!
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Post by pompeiisneaks »

some of the noise might be coming from the OT leads being so close to other preamp tubes. I'd suggest trying with a wooden chopstick to move those leads around, or push them down a bit towards the chassis to see if that helps the noise.

I had a problem with my AC30/4 full build that had the OT leads too close to some of the preamp components, and pushing them just a touch away from these areas made it basically disappear instantly.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!