Ac30 sag resistor

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

davebolden44

Ac30 sag resistor

Post by davebolden44 »

I recently bought a 75 dallas arbitor ac30. It has the solid state rectifier in it as many of you probably already know. Just curious of opinions if a sag resistor will emulate the compression and "mojo" of a tube rectifier or if I should just leave well enough alone?? Thanks....
pdf64

Re: Ac30 sag resistor

Post by pdf64 »

What’s its (idle) HT VDC? And heater supply VAC? At what measured mains VAC and what power transformer primary setting?
Some versions with silicon FWB rectification use a 22 ohm sag resistor, which is about equivalent to a GZ34 at high current draw.
https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics ... 301986.pdf
Roe

Post by Roe »

leave it unless the voltage is too high. or use a CLC filter
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

The answer totally hinges on weather you will be playing the amp loud enough to exceed the max current level that the PT has.
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

These are all very good points. I will play it and I probably wont recognize a difference either way.
davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

Well, I have the amp. It required some general maintenance right out of the gate but its up and running and sounds pretty good. I can visually see that some of the electrolytics are spent and will need replaced asap. All and all I think its original aside from it has had a partial cap job already and some of the values and locations of said caps are alien to me. So much so that some wood was plowed out of the tray the chassis sits on to accommodate 2 very large 160uf at 450v caps. Im not sure if there is extra filtering stages added as some sort of mod or what. I am not sure the above schematic is accurate to my model or not. My amp has no standby switch. Could someone provide me an accurate resource of legible schematics if they exist for my comparison. I cant seem to find anything. Any help would be appreciated, thanks
pdf64

Post by pdf64 »

davebolden44

Post by davebolden44 »

Yeah I have seen that schematic before. If thats all there is out there its truly a shame because I cant even read the values on it.