Starting up my AC15 build

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Oddvar R

Starting up my AC15 build

Post by Oddvar R »

Hi. I am just about to start my AC15 build for the first time, just have to go over everything first. There are two layouts that I have and I am wondering who is the more accurate one. I have used the noncoloured 1960 one in the enclosed pic, but in the couloured one there are a lot of different wires going underneath and to other location that are missing in the blac and white one. Any advice on what to go for here?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pompeiisneaks
Site Admin

Re: Starting up my AC15 build

Post by pompeiisneaks »

I've never built an AC15/30 using the original layout like this seems to replicate. Therefore I'd have no way of knowing if either was right/wrong without taking several hours to go over every component and connection, and even then, I might be wrong. It seems like one is from turretboard.org, maybe the members of that site can confirm it's a known good build? Otherwise, I'd recommend making sure one of these IS a known good build by people that have used it.

~Phil
tUber Nerd!
ChopSauce

Post by ChopSauce »

I'm sorry I can't help. I have never buit it and for me a layout is just a map to know component location. I can only follow a schematic.

I think it is somewhat similar to what Phil wrote about taking the time to go over every component and connection, but I'm doing that while building. I'm not very good at planning, I know ... :?
(a corollary being that a comparison of component location between layouts and pictures might be a starting point - but you probably have better options)
Oddvar R

Post by Oddvar R »

This is difficult to answer I guess, but I am in the finishing process of the Vox AC15 1960 build. I have come so far as to having one of the channels working (sounding great by the way), the EF86 circuit, but the other isn't working so great. I have only noise and some fairly low gitarsound in the other. On the V5 I have only 95v in on pin 1 and about 145v on the pin 6. On the double 8uf cap I have only 250v and the list says 450. I wonder what the reason for only 250, when I should expect about 450?

It seems a bit like missing ground, but i haven't found the issue yet. Any tips?