Hiwatt "Raw" Switch

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

RyanThomas13

Hiwatt "Raw" Switch

Post by RyanThomas13 »

The Hiwatt tone stack is a bit unique, so I just want to double check with you all. If someone wanted to bypass the tone stack on a Hiwatt amp you would connect the switch like so:
Hiwatt Raw Switch.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mhuss

Re: Hiwatt "Raw" Switch

Post by mhuss »

To a first approximation, yes. That will remove the load on the preceding stage. However, the Treble control will still work somewhat, with effectively a 220pf coupling cap at the CW end.
RyanThomas13

Post by RyanThomas13 »

Thanks Mark,

In light of this, would this be a way to do it?
Hiwatt Raw Switch v2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dr Tony Balls

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

That second way seems like a step in the right direction, however it wouldnt truly remove any tone altering part of the circuit because you still have a network of capacitors and resistors to ground. Also you're removing any coupling so you're going to have DC on the Master Volume pot.

I think the most correct way to implement is would be using a DPDT switch in a true bypass fashion like a guitar pedal. But you still need a coupling cap to filter the DC.

I build effects and amps and do custom builds to order. Boom.
Site: http://ballseffects.com/
RyanThomas13

Post by RyanThomas13 »

Yes I see your point.

And I like your idea, would this be a 2nd option in the same vain?
Hiwatt Raw Switch v3.png
sluckey

Post by sluckey »

This is probably what Mark had in mind. Seems to be the most straightforward way to totally bypass the TS. I would expect the switch to pop.
RyanThomas13

Post by RyanThomas13 »

ok thank you, that makes sense.
beasleybodyshop

Post by beasleybodyshop »

Completely lifting out the tone stack will definitely give you a healthy gain boost, but it might be TOO raw - have you considered experimenting with a 50K-100K pot between the bottom of the tone stack and ground? Partially lifting the tone stack and making that variable might give you the gain boost you want with more refined control.
"It's like what Lenin said... you look for the person who will benefit, and, uh, uh..."
10thTx

Post by 10thTx »

I used an approach sorta similar to what Sluckey suggested. It sorta bypassed the tone stack in the sense that the signal paralleled the tone stack. I thought it turned out nice. It was relay switched and I don't remember it popping when engaged but it was some yrs ago that I built it.

with respect, 10thtx
ViperDoc

Post by ViperDoc »

beasleybodyshop wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:40 pm Completely lifting out the tone stack will definitely give you a healthy gain boost, but it might be TOO raw - have you considered experimenting with a 50K-100K pot between the bottom of the tone stack and ground? Partially lifting the tone stack and making that variable might give you the gain boost you want with more refined control.
This is the approach Dr. Z uses in his Maz 18, only he puts the variable resistor/ boost pot on the side of the pedal and inserts it as a tone circuit ground lift. That way you can alter the boost on the fly down near your foot. I used to gig with a Maz 18 and I really liked that.
Just plug it in, man.