Tube Town AC18 kit build

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

JimR

Tube Town AC18 kit build

Post by JimR »

Hi all, first post!

I already had a Tube Town TT AC18, a Vox 1959/1960 clone with the EF86 input tube channel and great sound. As a first tube amp kit I decided to 'cheat' and build one more for my band stereo setup.

It was a long process of reading, learning, building, checking again and again and I had some problems understanding some of those things that are not explained in detail as you are supposed to know them already! Being a mechanical engineer with a lot of interest in electronics I got there eventually and the thing worked right away, what a relief!

Here is my original video of the TT AC18, the same video they use on the Tube Town homepage 8)

Now I'm gathering information, schematics, layouts and all info I can find about the DR Z Route 66, considering to build one. I have had the original and it sounded so good I really want another one like it.
Listen to this recording I made once, best sound ever: https://soundcloud.com/jimr/it-wasnt-my-time-to-go

/Jim
Colossal

Re: Tube Town AC18 kit build

Post by Colossal »

Nice work and welcome to the forum, Jim! Sounds really good. What speakers and cab(s) are you running?
JimR

Re: Tube Town AC18 kit build

Post by JimR »

Thank you, the used gear is in the YouTube descriptions: UK Greenback 1x12 Zilla cab in the first video and a Marshall 2061CX with 2xG12H30 Anniversary in the second video.

I have also built two new cabinets with Celestion Fullback 15" speakers, they sound big and bold with those small amps! I am about to make another video with a combination of 15" and Greenbacks, they are glorious togehter!

/Jim