What Makes an AC100 Clean/High Headroom?

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

Frost

What Makes an AC100 Clean/High Headroom?

Post by Frost »

Hi there,

I'm fascinated right now with some of the clean clips I've heard of Vox AC100s. Looking at the myriad of schematics of them I'm perplexed with what makes them such clean amps? I know they have a 12AU7 in both V1 and the PI. However in my experience with substituting a 12AU7 in the V1 and PI of a "Top Boost"-like EL84 amp it did not make it that much cleaner but you had to crank the volume waaaaaaay up to get a similar level of volume as with 12AX7s due to the gain loss. Is this the case with AC100s too? I would almost expect a linear volume pot to help this aspect out. Is the clean/high headroom coming from the power amp?

Many thanks,

Heiko
Roe

Re: What Makes an AC100 Clean/High Headroom?

Post by Roe »

its largely the power amp, although these amps will breakup and compress
www.myspace.com/20bonesband
www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Express, Comet 60, Jtm45, jtm50, jmp50, 6g6b, vibroverb, champster, alessandro rottweiler
4x12" w/H75s
JD0x0

Post by JD0x0 »

Mainly because you're going from cathode biased EL84's which are easy to drive into clipping, to fixed biased EL34's at a much higher voltage.
It's true i've lost my marbles and i cant remember where i put them
Stevem

Post by Stevem »

As posted in the above it’s in the design of the amp.
Interestingly enough if you have a 200 watt Marshall Major for instance and you swap out the 12AU7 PI tube for a higher gain but lower current drive 12AX7 you loose about 85 watts rms of the amps 200!
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!