In prepping for a lower power AC30 sounding build

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pjd3

In prepping for a lower power AC30 sounding build

Post by pjd3 »

Hello,

I am in a locally popular Beatles tribute band (4EverFab) in the New England area and have built Fender and Marshall amps that I use often with my classic rock bands however, this Beatles tribute band could use some real Voxish amps for the earlier Beatles stuff. I built myself and the other guitarist the "Britania" pedal from Runoffgroove's site to get us as far into the Vox tone as a pedal can get you but, we know there ain't nothin' like the real thing babee.

I'd really like to start planning a lower wattage version of an AC30 but not finding anything definitive. I see alot of threads discussing the differences between an AC15 and AC30 and how they are not the same animal but, I'm hoping to be led to someone(s) who have set out to fulfill this application with a decent modicum of success. Natually, I"m not expecting a 15 or 20 watt amp to have the boldness of a 30 watt Ac30 but, hopefully to carry much of the tone, EQ and responce of the AC30 for venues that require a lower sound intensity level - which is pretty much everywhere I play these days.

If you are, or know anyone that has posted their plans or considerations for a lower power VOX that managed to capture a great deal of the AC30 tone/response, I'd be very grateful and interested to check it out, and start planning and collecting parts.

Thank you for your time and energy!
Phil D.
I’m only one person (most of the time)
Mark

Re: In prepping for a lower power AC30 sounding build

Post by Mark »

Good info 10th Tx. I’m probably one of the few people who find the AC-30’s vintage layout lacking. It’s good to see people developing a better layout.
Yours Sincerely

Mark Abbott
pjd3

Re: In prepping for a lower power AC30 sounding build

Post by pjd3 »

Thank you for chiming in with this good information.

This will give me something to look at for a while!

Best,
Phil D.
I’m only one person (most of the time)