Vox AC4 output transformer?

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

ChopSauce

Vox AC4 output transformer?

Post by ChopSauce »

So far, my two main options are the (5k5 prim.) beefy Hammond 1750B featuring paper wounding and a 10W "capacity" and the somewhat more "british" ex-Amp Maker (5k prim.) 5W transformer from Primary Windings ( https://primarywindings.com/product/amp ... ansformer/ ), but maybe someone here has a better suggestion or a preference for one of these... ?:

Please, don't bother suggesting multi tap options (ala Hammond DSE or other 1760C) for I want to build another clone thing and the original looks like that ...
ac4-1963-02052_2162.jpg
... but maybe the (paper wound too) Hammond 1760CP, which has only two unneeded wires, but is pretty expensive in France?

I recall having found two or more alternative suggestions here, but the links seems to be gone now... :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChopSauce

Re: Vox AC4 output transformer?

Post by ChopSauce »

Noticed the ATRA0211 from https://www.die-wuestens.de/eindex.htm too - even though the shop doesn't seem to accept credit card payments.

Information about the transformer reads:
Ask Jan First wrote:[...] new production output transformer, made according to a modified Telefunken design.
Core EI 78.
Very nice transformer for hobby projects, as replacement in tube radios and for DIY guitar amps.

Tthis transformer is made from high quality materials.

Max bias: 60 mA DC
5,2 kOhm primary, 4-8-16 Ohm secondary.
Primarily intended for EL 84 but will fit other tubes with about similar Ra demands as well.

Pinout:
Top: primary: 0-5,2 kOhm
Bottom: secondary Pin10-13-16-18: 0-4-8-16 Ohm
I am especially interested in the mention to an (yet modified) "ancient" design, but look forward to reading about any comment about the comparison between this one and the Primay Windings one, good or bad... :?

Thanks for your interest!