Hiwatt amp version for a specific guitar application

Vox and Hiwatt Discussion

Moderators: pompeiisneaks, Colossal

pjd3

Hiwatt amp version for a specific guitar application

Post by pjd3 »

Hello, I’m hoping to get some opinions from some of you folks that know your Hiwatt amps.

I’m in the process of building an electric guitar that has a very specific application. It is a 28 5/8” scale and will primarily be used for playing acoustic type fingerstyle, (think Michael Hedges, Tony McManus, Stephen Wake, and some classical). Thus, the pickups are all very low DCR and inductance, nearly acoustic sounding, and the fretboard has a 16” radius. So, my inquiry is:
What Hiwatt year/model would you choose for a guitar such as this that would render characteristics such as” clean, sweet and chimey, tight lows, good distinction between strings, Complex high mids/trebles, not too much harmonic distortion and good dynamics.

I realize that likely most or all of the Hiwatt models carry these traits, and that is why I’m very interested in building up a board or two and hear for myself but, does any year/model come to mind that you think most compliments the application that I've described?

Thank very much everyone.
Phil D.
I’m only one person (most of the time)
Stevem

Re: Hiwatt amp version for a specific guitar application

Post by Stevem »

Are you looking to buy a Hiwatt or build one?
When I die, I want to go like my Grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep.
Not screaming like the passengers in his car!😊

Cutting out a man's tongue does not mean he’s a liar, but it does show that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Hi Stevem,

I amp looking to build one. Before I commit to a dual channel version of whatever works the best with this, I would like to work up 2 or 3 preamp boards to try and compare. I'm about 3/4's way through building what "might be" the clean channel from the Bogner Shiva. i was really taken and impressed with a few well done video's I found of that amps clean channel but, the information on the Shiva is so scarce that I can't rely on what I'm building to be what I think it will be. The information on the Hiwatts is plentiful so, confident that it is done right, you can get close the the results expected.

I'm simply going to gather the needed components, boards, trannies, etc. for a Hiwatt and get fabricating it all out. I'm assuming with out really knowing that one of the late sixties or early 70's models will likely be a good place to start, as the general wave of things was for amps to get more high gain going into the 80's and 90's. Of course, I very well maybe totally wrong about that but, thats why I'm posting this. I love the sound of Hiwatts but, know little about them in actual use. I grew up with primarily Fenders and Marshalls and have successfully built and gig with one of each. I think Fenders are perhaps a bit too hi fi for this application, well, the pure AB736's at least. And Marshall clean "may" have a bit too much harmonic distortion. I really like how Mark Huss presented the info for Hiwatt amps. Thats really great.
Thanks,

Phil D. h
wnc_M_O_L_H

Post by wnc_M_O_L_H »

Almost sounds like you would be happy with the AD30TC or the AD50.
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Hi,

This is going to be a 2 channel amp, each amp with FX send/returns that share a common set of stereo processors.

I'm looking at about 50 watts minimum per channel, keep it big, bold and clean, sort off.

Thanks!
Best,
Phil D
pjd3

Post by pjd3 »

Thanks all, Ok, how about this.

Are the earlier 60's and early 70's models known to have less harmonic distortion, or be cleaner than the later 70's and 80's models ?

Thank you,

Phil D